cbs4 My 33 Header Logo

Local

Hate Crimes Up Across Florida

View Comments
(Photo Credit: AP)

(Photo Credit: AP)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
South Florida Crime

TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami) – Hate crimes were up across the state in 2012.

According to the 2012 Hate Crimes in Florida Report released by Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi’s office, there was increase in hate crimes of 22 percent compared to the year earlier.

The 2012 Hate Crimes in Florida Report covers the period from January 1, 2012, through December 31, 2012.

Of the 402 law enforcement agencies in the state who report crimes under the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) information system, 69 agencies reported hate crimes in 2012, compared to 58 agencies a year earlier.

In 2012, there were 170 hate crimes reported in the state, compared to 139 in 2011.

Read the 2012 Hate Crimes Report

Hate crimes are classified as crimes against persons or crimes against property. Crimes against persons accounted for 68.8 percent of all incidents reported in 2012. Crimes against property accounted for the remaining 31.2 percent.

In 2012, there were 117 reported hate crimes committed against persons. The remaining 53 offenses were committed against property, including arson, vandalism and burglary.

Hate crimes motivated by a person’s race or color accounted for 54.1 percent of all reported hate crimes. Hate crimes based on sexual orientation was second (28.8 percent), followed by religion (10 percent), ethnicity (6.5 percent) and mental disability (0.6 percent).

The report does not include data regarding hate crimes committed against the homeless. Although homeless status was added as a protected class in 2010, no data is available because homeless status is not part of the UCR and is not required to be collected by law enforcement agencies or FDLE as part of the Hate Crimes Reporting Act.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus