Fins Head Coach Said He Never Saw Hazing
Dolphins CentralBuy DolphinsTickets
Shop for Dolphins Gear NFL Scoreboard NFL Standings Team STATS Team Schedule Team Roster Team Injuries
Sports Fan Insider
DAVIE (CBSMiami) – Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin met the media on Monday and finally addressed the ongoing Jonathan Martin and Richie Incognito situation.
Philbin said Martin left the facility after an incident in the lunchroom and that the head coach met with Martin last week. Philbin said he was in contact with Martin and members of his family throughout last week and into the weekend.
But, Philbin said at no time did Martin or any of his family members or representatives make any allegations of player misconduct. However, things changed over the weekend.
“As the weekend unfolded, the team released a statement that was 100 percent factual,” Philbin said. “Soon thereafter we were contacted by representatives of Jonathan, at no time were there any accusation of misconduct by this team or the organization. They in fact had some concerns over player conduct that had occurred.”
Philbin said Dolphins owner Stephen Ross contacted NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and requested the NFL become involved and conduct a complete review of the workplace.
“We gathered more and more information at the end of the day I decided to suspend Richie Incognito based on the information I had at that time,” Philbin said.
Philbin told the media will complete a “comprehensive and objective” review of the workplace and pledged that the NFL will have the full cooperation of the NFL. The NFL confirmed to CBSMiami.com the review is being led by NFL senior vice president of labor policy Adolpho Birch.
“I’m in charge of the workplace atmosphere,” Philbin said. “Since April 10, 2012 when the players first came here, every decision I’ve made has been done with one thing in mind and that is to help our players and our organization reach our full potential.”
In one exchange, Philbin said he had never seen rookie hazing despite it being documented last year by HBO’s Hard Knocks. Philbin said he never saw the show last year and said he was “working.”
Philbin said that if the review shows the team has an unsafe atmosphere, “I will take whatever measures I can to make sure that it is.”
But, Philbin said his primary goal is getting the team ready to play the Tampa Bay Buccaneers next Monday night. He said there would be no further comments on the matter “during the course of this investigation until we complete the investigation.”