Central Florida Health Officials Post Warning About Flesh-Eating Bacteria
Get Breaking News First
MELBOURNE (CBSMiami/AP) – A health warning has gone up in central Florida after a Flagler County man died last month after he contracted a flesh-eating bacteria.
Brevard County health officials issued a warning about the Vibrio vulnificus bacterium that can be found in brackish seawater in the lagoons along coastal Florida.
They are warning against swimming or fishing in coastal lagoons for people who have open wounds or cuts since that can lead to an infection that eats away at the skin.
They also say people with weakened immune systems are at risk for an infection if they eat raw shellfish contaminated with the bacteria.
They recommend not eating raw shellfish, especially raw oysters.
They also suggest that people wear gloves when handling raw shellfish.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)