MIRAMAR (CBSMiami) – A man was electrocuted and killed while trimming a tree in Miramar Saturday morning.
Livabon Gerimere, 55, was hired to clear branches near power lines behind a home at 7301 Shalimar Street when, according to police, he was shocked and killed. Police believe it was an accident.
“I see the tree on fire and the man slouched over,” said neighbor Samantha Romany. “He was completely shocked, he got electrocuted and the tree was on fire and it looked like he was on fire, it was unbelievable.”
Neighbors witnessed as sparks flew from the power line and said that Gerimere was so high up that there was nothing anyone could do to help him.
It took rescue crews several hours before they could take Gerimere’s body down from the tree.
“We had to wait until specialized equipment got to the scene in order to remove him,” said Officer Gil Bueno with the Miramar Police Department.
Friends describe Gerimere as a caring, hard-working man and expressed disbelief that he is gone.
“Loving guy, he would give you whatever he got,” said Randy Constance, a friend of Gerimere. “I’m gonna miss him.”
Florida Power and Light said the power was shut off for some time to about 80 customers but has been restored. They said safety is their top priority and urge people to hire a licensed professional when doing this kind of work.