South Florida Ready To Fight Back Against Mosquito Invasion
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Summer in South Florida means plenty of heat, rain and pesky mosquitoes.
The recent relentless rain across South Florida means the mosquitoes will be back in full force, as receding flood waters allow long-dormant eggs to hatch.
Broward County’s Mosquito Control Dept. has been spraying insecticide in ditches, swales and other wet sites in Broward County, where water had spread to areas that hadn’t been saturated in years.
It’s because there is a class of mosquitoes called “floodwater mosquitoes.” The females in this species lay eggs on dry or damp ground and the eggs lay dormant, sometimes for years, until the ground is flooded. When the water recedes, the eggs hatch.
That is what is happening now across South Florida.
Broward County started spraying locations with standing water over the weekend in Dania Beach, Hollywood, Pembroke Pines, Miramar, Davie and Fort Lauderdale.
Wednesday, the county will spray in the southwest part of the county, such as Southwest Ranches and a portion of Davie, weather permitting, from 4:00 – 6:30 a.m.
The area to be sprayed includes Griffin Road to the north, Sheridan Street to the south, Southwest 130 Avenue to the east and U.S. Highway 27 to the west.
Residents with breathing difficulties should remain indoors. Persons living in the affected area who have registered with the state to be alerted to spraying have been notified.
Spraying is done by truck and plane because the spray trucks kill larvae while aerial spraying kills the adults.
Miami-Dade County Mosquito Control is also spraying daily, especially in the southern end between Everglades and Biscayne National Parks, which are both major breeding grounds.
There are few things you can do to help minimize the number of itchy skeeter bites you’ll get simply by remembering the ‘five D’s’.
Dusk and Dawn: avoid being outdoors when mosquitoes are most active.
Dress: wear long, loose, light-colored clothing that covers the skin.
DEET: use mosquito repellants that contain DEET
Drainage: eliminate standing water around the home in places such as buckets, cans, old tires, and plant containers.
Broward residents can request service online by visiting broward.org and clicking “mosquito services” under Online Services. Requests can also be made by calling 954-765-4062.
Miami-Dade residents with questions about the aerial spraying, or complaints about mosquitoes, can call the County’s Answer Center at 3-1-1.
These are areas that will be sprayed Wednesday:
1. from SW 201 ST to SW 207 ST and from SW 80 PL to OLD CUTLER RD
2. from SW 184 ST to SW 187 TER and from SW 88 PL to SW 92 PL
3. from SW 168 ST to SW 176 ST and from SW 84 AVE to SW 88 AVE
4. from SW 148 ST to SW 156 ST and from SW 77 AVE to SW 80 AVE
5. from SW 128 ST to SW 136 ST and from SW 56 AVE to OLD CUTLER RD
6. from SW 58 TER to SW 62 ST and from SW 159 CT to SW 163 AVE
7. from SW 42 ST to SW 47 ST and from SW 139 CT to SW 142 PL
8. from SW 12 TER to SW 17 LN and from SW 149 AVE to SW 152 PL
9. from SW 8 ST to SW 11 ST and from SW 137 AVE to SW 142 AVE
The areas sprayed this morning are the ones listed below.
1. from SW 124 ST to SW 128 ST and from SW 92 AVE to SW 97 AVE
2. from SW 128 ST to SW 132 ST and from SW 102 AVE to SW 107 AVE
3. from SW 145 ST to SW 152 ST and from SW 107 AVE to POLK ST
4. from SW 146 ST to SW 151 ST and from SW 82 AVE to SW 87 AVE
5. from SW 142 TER to SW 145 TER and from SW 72 AVE to SW 75 AVE
6. from SW 116 ST to SW 122 ST and from SW 62 AVE to SW 68 AVE
7. from SW 102 ST to SW 106 ST and from SW 62 AVE to SW 67 AVE
8. from SW 66 ST to SW 72 ST and from SW 66 AVE to SW 69 CT
9. from SAN SOUCI DR to EDGEWATER DR and from SUNRISE DR to INGRAHAM HWY
10. from FRANKLIN AVE to POINCIANA AVE and from S DOUGLAS RD to SOLANO RD
11. from PALERMO AVE to RIVIERA DR and from SEGOVIA ST to GRANADA BLVD
12. from SW 28 RD to SW 32 RD and from SW 1 AVE to SW 3 AVE
13. from SE 29 CT to SE 31 CT and from SE 17 AVE to SE 12 AVE (HOMESTEAD)
14. from SW 344 ST to SW 348 ST and from SW 187 AVE to SW 188 PL
15. from SW 228 ST to SW 234 ST and from SW 162 AVE to SW 167 AVE
16. from SW 152 ST to SW 160 ST and from SW 152 AVE to SW 157 AVE
17. from SW 138 TER to SW 143 ST and from SW 159 AVE to SW 162 AVE
18. from SW 134 ST to SW 138 ST and from SW 197 AVE to SW 202 AVE
19. from SW 50 TER to SW 56 ST and from SW 157 AVE to SW 162 AVE
20. from SW 47 TER to SW 52 TER and from SW 112 AVE to SW 117 AVE
21. from NW 12 ST to NW 6 ST and from SW 132 PL to SW 135 CT
22. from GLENEAGLE DR to ABERDEEN WAY and from W PRESTWICK PL to S PRESTWICK PL
23. from NW 163 ST to NW 159 TER and from NW 77 CT to NW 79 AVE
24. from NW 179 ST to NW 170 TER and from NW 59 AVE to NW 66 CT
25. from NW 192 ST to NW 187 TER and from NW 77 CT to NW 82 AVE