One Dead, Two Injured In NW Dade Drive-By Shooting
South Florida Crime
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – One person has died, two others remain hospitalized after a drive-by shooting Monday morning in northwest Miami-Dade.
It happened in the parking lot of the Lincoln Fields apartment complex at 62nd Street and NW 21st Avenue.
Miami-Dade police said officers were sent to the area after receiving a call about a disturbance involving 20 or so people. About an hour after the crowd was dispersed, they received a call about a shooting.
“About six or seven loud booms,” said Shaquille Wright, “It sounded like a shot gun, it was quick, boom, boom, boom.”
When officers arrived they found bullet casings littered across the parking lot and two men and a 16-year old male.
All three were taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital where one of the men, a 21-year old, died. The second man was treated and released. The teen suffered a non-life threatening wound to “an extremity,” according to the police.
Dozens of the victims’ family members gathered outside the emergency room of the hospital waiting for news. They identified the man who died as Sean Pitts; they added that he had been shot four times.
“I’m hurting because I knew him since I was like 12, so right now it’s not really real right now,” said Marshall Banks.
Banks said he was with Pitts at the complex a few hours before he was gunned down.
“I feel lucky, I feel bad because I was just talking to him. That was someone who I call a real friend, was always there for me, if I needed anything he was there,” said Banks.
Banks said Pitts was the father of three children and had another on the way.
Police said the vehicle used in the drive-by, a white pick up truck, was found. Turns out it had been reported as stolen..
Anyone with information is urged to call Crime Stoppers at (305) 471-TIPS.