Marlins Catcher Placed On Restricted List

MIAMI (AP) — Miami Marlins catcher Miguel Olivo left the team without permission and was placed on the restricted list, manager Mike Redmond said Saturday.

Olivo, who had seen little playing time recently as the Marlins’ No. 3 catcher, departed Friday after batting practice and before the team’s game against the St. Louis Cardinals.

“I’ve never been involved in something like that — to have somebody just leave after batting practice,” Redmond said. “I think everyone was kind of in shock. I know it wasn’t an ideal situation for him, not getting to play a lot, but at the same time the team relies on you.”

Olivo had a .203 average in 33 games this year with the Marlins. He became the No. 3 catcher when Jeff Mathis was activated from the disabled list May 14 and had only 15 at-bats since then.

Outfielder Jordan Brown was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans on Saturday to take Olivo’s roster spot.

 

(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Miami

Sign-Up Now For Our 2016 Knockout Pool
Have What It Takes To Win? Sign-Up Now

Listen Live