Loria: No Extension For Stanton This Year
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – In a move that surprises no one who has been following the Miami Marlins, owner Jeffrey Loria told the print media Monday evening that the team will not be offering All-Star slugger Giancarlo Stanton a contract this year.
“I don’t think this is the year to go to Giancarlo with an offer,” Loria said, according to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post. “We have to let him play it out, let him feel more comfortable.”
Stanton is the only current star left on the Marlins’ roster after an off-season of salary dumps and fire sales of talent. Giancarlo made his unhappiness known with Marlins management after the big trade from Toronto in November.
The Marlins brought Stanton up to the Majors around two years ago and since then he’s been one of the more feared sluggers in the league. His tape measure home runs have become things of legend across baseball and he even knocked out lights on the scoreboard at Marlins Park last year.
Since coming up in 2010, Stanton has hit 93 home runs, has 232 RBI’s and carries a batting average of .270. Last season, when Stanton was an All-Star, he hit .290 on the season with 37 home runs and 86 RBI’s, despite playing in just 123 games.
Loria did say he hopes Stanton will be around long-term with the team and floated the possibility of altering the team’s no-trade clause ban when it comes to locking up Stanton, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.