Burger King Plans Apology After Twitter Hack
MIAMI (CBS Miami/AP) – Burger King said Monday that it reached out to Twitter to suspend its account after an apparent hack.
Starting just after noon Eastern time on Monday, the fast-food company’s Twitter picture was changed to a McDonald’s logo, the background picture changed to McDonald’s new Fish McBites product and the account tweeted that it had been sold to rival McDonald’s.
The perpetrator additionally changed the name associated with the account to “McDonald’s.”
In the past hour, some posts from the account have contained racial epithets, references to drug use and obscenities. The account has also tweeted: “if I catch you at a wendys, we’re fightin!”
Burger King Worldwide Inc. spokesman Bryson Thornton told The Associated Press that the company reached out to Twitter administrators to suspend the account. The account has not posted since about 1:15 EST.
The Miami company plans to post a statement on Facebook later today to apologize, especially for the offensive posts. It hopes to have the account back up soon.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)