Marlins Say Nolasco Will Be With Team In 2013
Marlins CentralShop for Marlins Gear
Buy Marlins Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – In the aftermath of the Marlins’ salary dump/fire sale earlier this week, speculation turned to pitcher Ricky Nolasco and reports that he was the next player to go. Marlins president David Samson said this wasn’t true Thursday, but trusting a Marlins executive isn’t always the best plan.
Samson told the Dan LeBatard Show that Nolasco will be with the Marlins in 2013. Given the Marlins history, that could mean Nolasco is on the roster January 1, 2013 or with the team for part of the year, but doesn’t guarantee he’ll be a Marlin through the year.
Nolasco has one year remaining on his contract and is set to be paid $11.5 million next season, making him the most expensive Marlins player still on the roster. Nolasco has been with the Marlins since 2006 and finished last season with a 12-13 record with an ERA of 4.48 in 191.0 innings pitched.
Nolasco also allowed opponents to hit .285 against him and allowed nearly one home run and 10 hits per nine innings pitched. Nolasco struck out just 125 batters last season.
According to Newsday, the Yankees could be interested in acquiring Nolasco and the Denver Times said the Colorado Rockies could also be interested in trying to trade for Nolasco.
Based on the current roster, Nolasco would likely enter the 2013 season as the Marlins’ number one pitcher. Also in the starting rotation are Nathan Eovaldi, Jacob Turner, and Henderson Alvarez.