Wiring Short Sparks Ft. Lauderdale Yacht Fire
Get Breaking News First
FT. LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) – Nearly two dozen firefighters and Ft. Lauderdale’s Fire Boat 49 made quick work of a yacht fire on Saturday afternoon.
Around 2 p.m., they received a call about a 60-foot yacht on fire at 2301 SE 17th Street.
When firefighters arrived they found thick smoke coming from the stern of a Sea Ray. A
bystander at the marina was trying to put out the flames with a fire hose from one of the nearby
After moving everyone back firefighters got to work. Once they determined the source of the fire was below deck they cut several holes into the deck to access it. Although there was some smoke damage to the interior of the vessel, firefighters were able to contain the blaze to an interior void space in the stern.
No injuries were reported.
Fire investigators determined that a wiring harness in the below deck void space was the cause of the fire.