Broncos Defender Avoids Charges In Miami-Dade County
Dolphins CentralShop for Dolphins Gear
Buy Dolphins Tickets
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Denver Broncos defensive end Elvis Dumervil said Tuesday that he will not be facing any charges in Miami-Dade County following an incident in Miami Beach last month.
“I found out today [from] my attorney, Harvey Steinberg, that [all the charges] were dropped – and actually [they] didn’t get filed,” Dumervil said after practice Tuesday.
His statement was later confirmed by the Miami-Dade County State Attorney’s Office.
In July, Dumervil was at the center of a dispute that appeared to start as an argument over a parking space near 7th Street and Collins Avenue, according to police. Dumervil reportedly flashed a firearm during the dispute and things escalated from there.
Dumervil, 28, is a Miami native who once played for Miami Jackson Senior High School. In the NFL, he’s turned into a pass rushing specialist for the Broncos. It’s also not the first time he’s run afoul of law enforcement only to later have charges dropped.
According to profootballtalk.com, Dumervil was arrested in 2010 and was cited for assault and disturbing the peace after a dispute with a parking lot attendant.
But while Dumervil may have been cleared in Miami-Dade County, he could still face a punishment from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for violating the league’s personal conduct policy. Thus far, Dumervil said he hasn’t heard from the commissioner.
Dumervil wasn’t concerned how fans might have reacted to the reports of the dispute.
“The way the tabloids and media, the way things are—it’s a media world and it is what it is. The profession I play, it comes with the territory,” Dumervil said. “At times, you wish that you could tell the truth and people are going to understand it but at the same time, news is news. It’s not what happens but how you respond to things. I knew all along I didn’t do anything wrong. The type of person I am, [how] I conduct myself since I’ve been here—I’m just ready to continue my life.”