Reporting Tim Kephart
Legislative Session Coverage
TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami) – Last week a federal judge rejected a request from the Justice Department to halt Florida’s voter purge, primarily because the state said it had already halted the program.
But Monday, Governor Rick Scott told Fox News he will probably decide what the “next step” in the case would be, according to the News Service of Florida.
The state assured U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle the controversial program had been halted. Based on that assurance, Judge Hinkle denied a request from the federal government for a temporary injunction.
“One message I did want to send along is, I’m still here,” Hinkle said.
Scott has repeatedly said his program eliminating “noncitizens” from the voter rolls is tantamount to voter suppression. Scott and other GOP officials have said it’s an effort to curb voter fraud. However, voter fraud in Florida is extremely rare, according to state figures.
Governor Scott has run into opposition to the program at the federal and local level. The Justice Department has stepped in to try to stop the program.
At the local level, all 67 elections supervisors have refused to implement the program until the data can be confirmed.
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The News Service of Florida contributed to this report.)