Heat CentralBuy Heat NBA Champs Gear Buy Heat Tickets NBA Scoreboard NBA Standings Team STATS Team Schedule Team Roster Team Injuries
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – If you were thinking of skipping work Monday so you could go to the AmericanAirlines Arena for the big Championship Celebration – think again.
The Miami Heat said Sunday that all tickets to the arena party are gone.
But that doesn’t mean you can’t line the streets to watch the Parade of Champions.
Everything starts at the corner of SW 8th Street & 2nd Avenue at 11 a.m. The parade then moves east on 8th Street, then north on Brickell Avenue across the bridge and north on Biscayne Boulevard into the AmericanAirlines Arena via NE 8th Street.
At 12:30 p.m., the team will go inside the AAA for the private party for season ticket holders only. The season-ticket holder event will not be broadcast on the screen outside the AAA.
For those who come out to enjoy the parade, emergency management teams want to make sure folks take note of the hot weather.
In 2006, they responded to 90 calls for heat distress and dehydration.
“So we want to ensure if there is very sunny, very hot weather for this parade, we hope that people prepare accordingly. They come with bottles of water and they come prepared to hydrate themselves,” said Chief Joseph Zahralban, Emergency Manager City of Miami.
The City of Miami announced that the following parking lots will be open at 7 a.m. on Monday for parade-goers:
- Along Biscayne Boulevard, between N.E. 4th and 1st Streets, Lot 19 ($20)
- Chopin Plaza, area of Hotel InterContinental Miami, Lot 20 ($20)
- Old Port Boulevard, adjacent to north side of Bayside Marketplace, Lot 301 ($20)
- Adrienne Arsht Center, off N.E. 13th Street and 2nd Avenue, Lot C ($20)
- College Station Garage, off N.E. 3rd Street and 2nd Avenue, Garage 3 ($15)
For fans who want to take public transportation to the parade, the City of Miami has issued a revised transit schedule.
- Trains will run every 15 minutes, but service will be supplemented with additional trains to facilitate travel to the celebration. Patrons are encouraged to use the web-based ‘Train Tracker’ service to see when the next trains will be approaching their station.
- Metromover will be running frequent service with two-car trains on the Inner, Brickell and Omni loops.
Paying Metrorail fare:
- At select Metrorail stations, one faregate will be designated as an ‘express pay’ lane where passengers can drop $2 in a cash box to pay for a one-way trip on Metrorail without having to use an EASY Card or EASY Ticket. Parking at a Metrorail station is $4 per day.
An ‘express pay’ lane will be available at the following stations from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.:
- Dadeland South
- Dadeland North
- South Miami
- Tri-Rail (transfer station)
And at the following stations, from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., for the return trip from the parade:
- Government Center
If using an ‘express pay’ lane, parade-bound patrons are asked to bring the exact fare in cash as no change will be provided. No receipts or transfers will be issued, and all those using cash to pay their fare will receive assistance to exit at the Government Center and Brickell stations where they can transfer free to Metromover.
Patrons can exit at the following Metromover stations to reach the various parade locations:
- Eighth Street
- Fifth Street
- Bayfront Park
To reach the American Airlines Arena:
- Freedom Tower
- Park West
Patrons who have a 1-Month EASY Card, or a loaded EASY Card or EASY Ticket, can still use their cards or tickets to pay for their Metrorail fare at the regular faregates. Patrons who need to transfer to Metrobus will need to use an EASY Card or EASY Ticket to pay for their bus transfer.
Due to road closures in the downtown Miami and Brickell areas, several Metrobus routes will be detoured, including routes 3, 11, 77, C and S.
For more information on the enhanced Metrorail and Metromover service, or on the Metrobus routes being detoured, patrons can call 305-891-3131, weekdays, from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., and on Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. TTY users can call 305-499-8971.
Transit patrons are also encouraged to visit www.miamidade.gov/transit, or download the free iPhone app ‘Miami-Dade Transit Tracker’.