Road Warning: I-595 Closing At University For 24-Hours In Mid-July
BROWARD (CBSMiami) – Drivers in Broward County should avoid I-595 at all costs the second weekend in July because the always busy highway will be closed in both directions at University Drive for 24 hours.
In addition, University Drive will be closed where it passes under the interstate.
The closure will take place from 11:30 p.m. July 14 to 11:30 p.m. July 15.
Construction crews must shut I-595 down in order to raise the flyover from University to eastbound I-595. Officials say the ramp will be raised 18 inches in order to widen the interstate underneath it.
There are other road closures as well during the same 24-hour time frame.
- The ramp from southbound University Drive to eastbound I-595
- Northbound and southbound University Drive at I-595
- Westbound State Road 84 from S.R. 7 to Pine Island Road
- Westbound I-595 from University Drive to Pine Island Road
- Eastbound I-595 on-ramps from Weston Road to University Drive
- Florida’s Turnpike ramp to westbound I-595 and westbound S.R. 84
- S.R. 7 ramps to westbound I-595 and westbound S.R. 84
A public meeting will be held Thursday, June 21st to answer any questions at the Signature Grand in Davie.
Although the “bridge-jacking” is only expected to take 24 hours, the flyover will remain closed for four months as part of a $1.8 billion reconstruction of I-595. The entire project is expected to finished in March 2014.