One Elderly Woman Killed, One Injured By Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Get Breaking News First
MIAMI LAKES (CBS4) – One elderly woman is dead and another elderly woman was rushed to a hospital in critical condition after an apparent deadly case of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Miami-Dade Police say a family member discovered the victims, who neighbors say were sisters. And they say when Miami-Dade Fire Rescue paramedics arrived at 2:05 p.m. at the home in the 8700 block of Northwest 149th Terrace, they noticed a strong smell of car exhaust.
Police Detective Javier Baez told CBS4’s Peter D’Oench that a car had been left running and the garage door was closed. He said it was not known how long the car had been left running or how the incident happened.
Baez said the woman who died was discovered inside a bathroom.
Baez also said it was not known if the home had carbon monoxide alarms. But he said this incident served as an important reminder of how important such alarms are.
D’Oench also spoke with Mayra Guzman, the daughter-in-law of one victim, 87-year-old Julia Geddes, who was transported to St. Mary’s Hospital in West Palm Beach because it has a hyperbaric chamber that helps victims of carbon monoxide poisoning.
“They found one person (who) died on the scene and one other because of carbon monoxide,” Guzman told D’Oench. “I don’t know why or how this happened. She came home from the hospital yesterday and relatives were calling and calling the house. I don’t know anything else. But she is very sick. She left the car open.”
There were emotional moments at the scene, as Guzman escorted Geddes’s distraught sister to a nearby car and neighbors consoled each other with embraces.
Neighbor Jose Coto said Geddes had lived in the home for at least 10 years.
“It’s very sad to see something like that happening. When something like that happens, it hits home. It’s a shock. It makes you think about your family. These were quiet nice people. It’s very sad.”
Neighbor Andrew Forthmuler also said, “It’s very sad. It’s depressing. They were very good neighbors and quiet.”