Family Of Toddler In “No Fly” List Flap Won’t Take Legal Action
Get Breaking News First
FT. LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami/AP) – The parents of the toddler who was pulled off a JetBlue flight because her name reportedly showed up on the “No Fly” list don’t plan to take any legal action against the airline, according to a family spokesperson.
Rick Abbott, the family spokesperson, said Friday that all they want is an apology or an explanation from JetBlue, which blamed the issue on a computer glitch.
It happened Tuesday night at Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport. The couple, who do not wish to have their names published, said their daughter Riyanna had just boarded a flight heading home to Newark, New Jersey when a JetBlue employee told them they had to get off the plane.
The JetBlue employee said agents from the Transportation Security Agency (TSA) needed to speak with them.
When they asked why, the couple said the employee told them their daughter’s name had been flagged on a “No Fly” list, the federal list that includes thousands of known or suspected terrorists.
After about half an hour, they were told they could re-board the plane. The couple said they didn’t get an apology or an explanation.
JetBlue said employees were following proper protocol, but TSA said the girl never was flagged by the agency.
“TSA did not flag this child as being on the No Fly list. TSA was called to the gate by the airline and after talking to the parents and confirming through our vetting system, TSA determined the airline had mistakenly indicated the child was on a government watch list,” according to a statement from the agency.
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)