Stoudemire’s Injured Hand May Keep Him Out Of Game 3
Buy Heat Tickets
Heat CentralBuy Heat NBA Champs Gear Buy Heat Tickets NBA Scoreboard NBA Standings Team STATS Team Schedule Team Roster Team Injuries
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – When the New York Knicks walked off the court Monday night, the team had suffered another debilitating loss to the Miami Heat. Then Knicks power forward Amar’e Stoudemire decided to inflict another loss on the Knicks.
As Stoudemire made his way to the locker room after the game, he decided to take out his frustration on a fire extinguisher in the hallway to the Knicks’ locker room. When he did, he punched through the glass and cut his hand.
Doctors and paramedics came to check on Stoudemire, who teammate J.R. Smith said required stitches in his hand. When Stoudemire left the arena, his hand was heavily bandaged and his arm was in a sling, according to CBS4 news partner the Miami Herald.
According to the New York Daily News, Stoudemire will visit a hand specialist on Tuesday to see if any damage was done to any ligaments or tendons in his hand. Multiple reports said Stoudemire is almost certain to miss at least Game 3 of the series.
For his part, Stoudemire took to Twitter to apologize for his actions and to Knicks fans.
“I am so mad at myself right now, I want to apologize to the fans and my team, not proud of my actions, headed home for a new start,” Stoudemire tweeted about two hours after the game.
Stoudemire later wrote on Twitter, “We all have done thing out of anger that we regret. That makes us human. Bad timing on my part. Sorry guys. This to shall pass.”
If Stoudemire can’t go in Game 3, the Knicks are likely looking at a possible sweep in the series. Miami dominated New York with Stoudemire on the court and without him, the Knicks lose a major scoring and rebounding force the Heat had to respect.
Stoudemire’s injury will go down in the annals of odd or dumb sports injuries. But he has a long way to go to catch some of these players.
- Ken Griffey, Jr. missed a game in 2006 because he pinched himself with his protective cup
- Gus Frerotte headbutted a wall in the end zone after a touchdown…the wall won.
- Sammy Sosa strained his back while sneezing and missed the next game.
- Manchester United coach Alex Stepney in 1975 screamed so loud at his team that he broke his jaw
- Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Steve Sparks dislocated his left shoulder trying to tear a phone book in half in 2004
- Bill Gramatica tore his ACL while jumping around after a field goal…in the first quarter.
- Brandon Marshall slipped on a hamburger wrapper and as he was falling put his hand through a glass home entertainment center.
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was poked in the eye in an exhibition game and punched the post supporting backboard…suffered a broken hand.