cbs4 My 33 Header Logo
NFL PRESEASON: Dolphins vs. Rams on CBS4 at 7pm. | Regular CBS4 Programming seen on Cable 3/HD436

Local

Rubio Wants All Money From Oil Spill To Go To Impacted States

View Comments
Gulf Oil Spill Spreads, Damaging Economies, Nature, And Way Of Life

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
Legislative Session Coverage

PANAMA CITY BEACH, Fla. (CBSMiami) – U.S. Senator Marco Rubio said Tuesday he wants all of the fines collected from the 2010 Gulf of Mexico BP oil spill to only go to the states directly affected by the spill.

In March, the Senate approved spending 80 percent of the fines collected from BP on restoration efforts in the five Gulf states. The other 20 percent would then be allowed to go to other states not impacted by the oil spill.

A similar provision was approved in the House and will be worked out in conference committee.

Senator Rubio voted against the bill, while Democratic Senator Bill Nelson voted for it.

Rubio said Tuesday that Congress’ idea of splitting up the money and giving it to states not involved in the oil spill as an example of the problems in Washington. He also criticized other lawmakers for trying to get their hands on the money.

(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,471 other followers