NORTH BAY VILLAGE (CBSMiami) – Residents of a North Bay Village apartment building were forced out of their homes after a fire broke out on the tenth floor.
The fire started around 9:45 p.m. in the high-rise building located at 7601 E. Treasure Drive, according to Miami-Dade Fire Rescue. Initial reports indicate it was caused by some sort of electrical issue involving a television set.
Arriving police officers evacuated the building as firefighters battled the flames.
“I started going downstairs with everybody else. It was very crowded on the stairs because everybody was using the same ones by the elevator. We started smelling the smoke by the time we got to the 11th floor ,” said Mary Lou Trujillo.
Three of the building’s residents, who suffered smoke inhalation, were hospitalized in serious condition. Two of the first police officers to arrive and begin the evacuation were also treated for smoke inhalation.