Homestead Police Shooting Leaves Teen Dead

HOMESTEAD, Fla (CBSMiami) – A Homestead family is looking for answers after a police-involved shooting left a 16-year-old Homestead High School student dead.

The shooting happened at the Chevron gas station on U.S. 1 and Campbell Drive in Homestead overnight Thursday. A clerk who wasn’t working at the time said Danny Cruz, 16, asked the clerk on duty for some Tylenol late Thursday night. Cruz paid one dollar for the package and then asked for the dollar back.

Homestead Police said they responded to a panic alarm at the Chevron station and when they confronted Cruz, shots were fired.

“The individual implied they had a gun by his gesture of pointing a weapon at the officers and that’s when the officers shot him,” said Det. Javier Baez of the Miami-Dade Police Department. “The first and foremost thing is that we have to protect ourselves. An officer has a right to protect himself.”

Despite the police story, the family of Cruz is angry and has been left with more questions than answers.

“I want to know what happened with my son and why they shot him,” Cruz’s mother Sarah Garcia told CBS4’s Peter D’Oench. “He was just a kid and he was my only son and it just hurts now that he’s gone.”

Cruz’s family said they don’t know why he was at the Chevron or how he got there. They also denied he had any involvement with gangs.

“Somebody took my nephew, there’s nothing good I can say,” said the boy’s aunt, Yvonne Garcia.

Police said Cruz had no previous history with law enforcement before the shooting Thursday night.

“I’m sure whatever he was doing, he didn’t deserve what was done to him,” said Sarah Garcia. “I don’t believe he was out to hurt anyone. I believe he was just there. I don’t believe he pulled out a gun. I’d really like to see the surveillance tape.”

Miami-Dade Police have the surveillance tape, but there’s no plans to release it during the investigation.

Comments

1. Me says:

This is a tough one. Welcome to third world Homestead. First, you have Homestead Police Department, nuff said.. Then you have your typical refugee or illegal or whatever in Homestead with their parents saying they would NEVER do anything wrong. Who knows….

1. dana celeste moran says:

hi me whoever u r u probably didnt know danny he was a good boy at heart just think if u had guns pointed at u what would u do?

1. Don says:

He was a good boy? Really? I don’t think good law abiding boys at 17 years old go around carrying guns at 11pm at night and then refuse to obey an officers command when he is confronted.

2. greggf says:

16 years old with a concealed weapon. first class felony right there. come on. the cops say stop you stop. they say show your hands you show them. sorry to say this but one less rat off the streets.

2. gregg ff says:

the kid had a gun. bottom line. 16 years old with a gun in a gas station. i think its safe to say that his intentions were not good. Also..when the police say stop you stop. when they say show your hands, show your hands. There needs to be MORE INTOLERANCE for criminals. maybe if the message gets out that the cops will blow you away if you have a gun, maybe just maybe the community will get cleaned up. Obviously the mom isnt going to take proper care of her kids….lol

2. combs says:

I had a comb in my hand one day and a cop tried to shoot me.

3. Oscar says:

dam, I went to middle school with him, he rode my bus…. rip Danny Cruz

1. JAK BOY 101 says:

middle school ???

4. Alex says:

damn thats mess up. He was a dear friend of mine

5. abootnkiki says:

1040pm on a school night;why didnt his parents know where he was?

6. duh says:

First and foremost, the police have to protect themselves. Forget about the children.

7. me says:

This kid was committing a crime period and you are right the police have to protect themselves.

1. duh says:

It’s a slippery slope. Children test their boundaries. It’s how they learn. Unfortunately for the officer and the child, the lessons to be learned here is that lethal action is permanent.

8. Alectera says:

Oh please I hear too much about police being involved in shootings and beatings so they are not all that innocent. Im pretty sure there was no reason to kill a child at the age 16.

9. Audrey says:

This is Stupid , Anybody Who Knew Danny , Knew He Was A Good Kid , I Knew Him , He Would Of Never Done Anything Bad , He Was The Kid Who Always Kept Everybody Smiling Even If You Were Sad , R.i.p Danny Cruz😦 That Cop Who Shot Him Should Be Ashamed SMH !

1. greggf says:

does this sound stupid?…lets say your father was a cop and went out evernight and risked his life.would it be stupid if he protected himself?

2. Jonny says:

Danny was a stupid kid. If he had been home doing his home work or getting ready for school on friday and not out robbing a gas station he would still be alive. Danny cruz Killed Danny Cruz not the cop. If the cop didn’t shoot danny then the cop would be the one dead. Good kids are out at 11:00pm on a school night with a gun in their pocket. Ha! Danny was a good kid that is some funny stuff.

1. Danny says:

It wasn’t a school night. I was out on thursday night well past 11, I’m 16, and maintain a 4.0 GPA, 5.0 weighted. Go figure.

2. wanda says:

that is not funny he was a good boy, he was not robbing the store you idiot, the didnt pull the gun out stupi read the news before you write something

10. Elvis10 says:

Homestead Cops gone rogue. Four bullets. Oh, please. I’m sure the job of “get-er-done”, could have gone smoother. Racism.

1. Jonny says:

The wife of the Cop is Hispanic. How in the hell is he a racist?

11. Alectera says:

the police was just defending themselves? Really? I guess we should all stop buying tylenol then right?

1. greggf says:

he had a gun. a concealed weapon. as a 16 year old with no license that is a felony. 5-10 years in jail. ….but he was a good kid…lmao

12. Elvis10 says:

Where is the actual footage? I mean, if there really was a gun. It sounds to me like excessive force was used. Usually, video is also shown on would-be criminals, instantly. Why, haven’t they released this chevron footage of the crime that took place? Weird. Right?

1. greggf says:

facebook page tells the story. the thug’s page had his buddy pointing a gun at the camera and he is throwing up a gang sign in the back. nice……a true law abiding citizen.

13. claudia says:

If you were there you can make those type of comments, Regardless of the situation not life should be taking away for no reason. What about if it was one of your family members.

1. Jonny says:

If I was one Danny’s Family members I would we very upset with myself for not teaching Danny how to be a good man and that it is wrong to go out and terroriz some poor lady at a gas station and then try and shoot a cop.

14. Jonny says:

One more POS off the street.Great job Homestead Police!

15. Reno says:

The news station should take a look at mommy’s Criminal activiy. hint: (home burgleries).

16. mom says:

As the mother of 3 children, one being a Police Officer I can tell you that when my kids were that age I knew exactly where they were and who they were with all the time. This kid might have been “a good kid ” but I’ve seen good kids go bad and there parents don’t even have a clue. It’s sad that as parents we are not taking control over our young, our young are controlling us.

17. CLAUDIA MORUA says:

DANNY DIDNT HAVE TO DIE… IMA MISS YOU DANNY😥

1. greggf says:

no he didnt. and if he wasnt carrying a illegal gun in a gas station then he wouldnt be dead.

18. Cristy says:

People are so naive and insensitive! THINK before you say something, words can do a lot of damage! Friends and family members are reading this! I understand both points of view, but come on! Can you please be a little bit more cautious with your words! Many people reading this are in pain! I would love to see your face if you had to go through this tragedy, losing a family member this way!

19. me says:

we all miss danny❤

20. poorwhiteboy says:

Your family would only have to go through this if they had a punk _ass dumb kid. Better DEAD now than waste the money supporting his ass in jail.

21. NORMALINDA CRUZ says:

HE WAS NO PUNK HE WAS A GOOD STUDENT AND HONER ROLL STUDENT HE WAS AT THE GAS STATION BUYING MEDS FOR HIE HEADED AND THE CLERK OF THE GAS STATION WAS SCARED SHE THOUGHT WRONG ABOUT HIM HE DID NOT POINT NO GUN AT NO ONE AND THIS OFFICER SHOT HIM 7 TIMES ONLY BECAUSE HE DID NOT WANT TO PUT HIS HANDS UP HE WAS SACRED AND KNOW HIM HE MUTED SAY WHAT I DID WRONG AND OPEN FIRE SHOOT HE 7 TIME … HE DID NOT POINT NO GUN AT THE OFFICE THEIR WRONG UP TO THIS DAY THEY STILL HAVEN’T RELEASE THE VIDEO TAPE KNOW HOMESTEAD SAID I VIDEO WAS NOT ON THAT NIGHT … SO WHAT ARE YOU INVESTIGATION …. WHERE IS THE TAPE AND HE WAS NO DOING NOTING WRONG AND HE BE WHAT HE BE BUT HE WAS NOT A CRIMINAL HE HAD NO BAD RECORD ON HIM…..

22. NORMALINDA CRUZ says:

HE MUST LOOK THE WAY HE WAS BUT I BELIEVE THERE WAS NO GUN …. THEY NOT SHOWING THE VIDEO SO THEIR HIDING SOMETHING THEIR GOD KNOW WHAT THEIR DOING TO THE TAPE HOPE NOT A COPE NO ONE WHAT TO LOSS IN THE LAW ..OR LOOK BAD IN FRONT ON THE NEW WITH LOT OF PPL WATCHING THE NEWS …. ALL THE FAMILY CAN DO IS PRAY AND LOOK FW: AND KNOW THEIR CLOSER THEN EVER …HOPE THIS VIDEO COMES OUT SOON ….. WHAT I BELIEVE IF HE DID BAD IT WOULD BE OUT SO PPL CAN SEE THE GUN THAT HE HAD ….. BUT NO VIDEO NO GUN SO WHAT GOING ON THE HOMESTEAD POLICE JUSTICE NEED TO BE SERVE THE RIGHT WAY ….

23. Laura secundino Cruz says:

Y’all need to stop with those comment about my cousin cause y’all wouldn’t like it’s if I said that about your cousin on the website keep yours hit to your self !! Thanks !!

24. mimi contreras says:

for all those who didnt know danny i suggest yu keep yur mouth shut ! danny was a good kid & he did NOTHING wrong . if yu kill somebody yu should be put in jail not set free juss because yur a cop . i bet if it was some random person he woukd be serving life even if he felt threatend . & its real funny how they so called ” lost ” the video tape . lol pathetic ass people , he did nothing wrong to nobody & the cop is trained to know the kill points . he didnt have to shoot him 7 times & kill him . R.I.P Danny Cruz