Several events will be held on Monday in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Here’s a list of some of the Martin Luther King Jr. events taking place throughout South Florida:
- MLK Parade: MLK Festival Committee presents the Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Parade at along N.W. 54th Street & 12th Avenue then westbound to N.W. 32nd Avenue. The parade runs from 11 a.m. Festivities wrap up at 6 p.m. and include children’s cultural area, food booths and a vendor marketplace. Details: (305) 773-4043
- 5000 Role Models is hosting their Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Breakfast, beginning at 8:30 a.m. at Parrot Jungle, 111 Parrot Jungle Lane. For more information call (305) 995-2454 or visit www.5000rolemodels.net
- The City of Miami Gardens is hosting Unity in the Community: Oratorical, Talent and Art Contests from 10:00 a.m. -Noon at the Betty T. Ferguson Recreational Complex located at 3000 N.W. 199th Street in Miami Gardens. Features oratorical, talent and art contests. For more information visit www.miamigardens-fl.gov or call (305) 622-8000 ext. 2482
- Florida City, Love Yourself Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration: South Florida Urban Ministries (SFLUM) honors Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with a day of community service. SFLUM staff and AmeriCorps members will spend the day beautifying Florida City through painting and tree planting projects. Volunteers will help beautify four homes in Florida City. Also includes open and closing ceremonies and lunch; 7:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Monday; Branches Florida City, 145 SW Fifth Ave., Florida City. Free. 305-442-8306, www.sflum.org.
- Martin Luther King Parade and Celebration: Parade begins at Charlie Will Thomas Park, 800 NW Eighth Ave., Dania Beach and heads south to Northwest First Street, then east to Federal Highway, south to Stirling Road, west to Phippin-Waiters Road, east to Bethel Missionary Baptist Church, 6 SW Sixth Ave., 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday. 954-924-3881.
- Hallandale beach Annual Parade and Festival honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The parade starts at 10 AM from B. F. James Park, NW 2nd Avenue and NW 9 Street. It travels south to Hallandale Beach Boulevard, west to NW 8 Avenue, and then north to Foster Road. The festival follows at Johnson Park, with local food vendors, speakers, and a battle of the bands.
- Annual MLK celebration breakfast, at the Golf Club, 2200 Highland Ave., in Delray Beach. The event includes poetry contest conducted by the Palm Beach Poetry Festival, music by Pasco Baker Concert Choir, buffet. Presented by the Spady Cultural Heritage Museum. $20. Reserve. Visit spadymuseum.org or call 561-279-8883.