Supplement Safety For New Year’s Weight Loss Plans

MIAMI (CBS4) – To help jump start his day, Ronald Kaufman blends up a special potion of yogurt and nutritional supplements.

“It’s 20 different things that I put into the drink,” said Kaufman.

Ronald is one of the 150 million Americans who take nutritional supplements daily. In fact, sales of supplements totaled $28 billion dollars in 2010.

“Consumers really start to make New Year’s resolutions centering around a healthy lifestyle,” Kaufman said.

Which supplements are right for you and which ones are safe? Registered dietitian Erin Palinski explains dietary supplements are regulated by the Federal Government as a category of food, not as a drug.

“Medications are tested and verified for potency and purity. With dietary supplements, there is no testing standard, and that’s where we can run into issues,” Palinski pointed out.

She says if you want to use supplements you need to be a savvy shopper, including reading labels and the list of ingredients.

Those who are looking to build muscle and improve performance often tout the benefits of protein, creatine and C-L-A. Though studies on creative and C-L-A are mixed, all three are generally considered safe if taken at recommended levels.

“Even generally safe supplement ingredients, if you’re taking them in too high a dose, can be potentially dangerous,” explained Palinski.

That could lead to things such as dehydration, increase risk for kidney stones and gastrointestinal issues.

One of the most popular supplements for athletes looking to boost their energy is caffeine.

“In up to about 300 mg per day, it may help increase athletic performance, but above that amount we can run a risk, since it’s a stimulant, of increasing blood pressure. In very high amounts, it can actually lead to seizures,” Palinski stated.

Some fat burning supplements which contain a mix of herbal ingredients can also act as a stimulant. Are they effective? Our experts say there’s no clear-cut answer yet.

In the meantime, the Council for Responsible Nutrition says it is smart to always consult your doctor first.

“Long-term use of certain fat burners can have some very adverse events in the liver.”

Also, keep an eye out for ephedrine, which has been banned by the FDA. You should also check labels for bitter orange, also referred to as synephrine. It is similar to the main chemical in ephedrine and the government says there’s little evidence that it is any safer.

“This has been linked with many serious side effects, including stroke and heart attack.”

If you choose to use athletic or weight loss supplements, everyone agrees… watch where you buy. Stick with reputable brands and retailers.

“If a claim for a dietary supplement is too good to be true, then it probably is,” said Palinski.

More from Marybel Rodriguez
Comments

1. Arnie Welber says:

Yes, we must be aware of what supplements potencies and potential adverse affects are. HOWEVER, more of us (human beings) are dead from pharmaceutical adverse effects, than supplements to say the least

2. mimi says:

My what an itelligent comment you have just made WOW

3. weight loss says:

No doubt article. Being an avid blog reader share praise worthy posts. Many a thanks for accepting my comment. Unni

4. Weight Loss Tips For How To Lose That Stubborn Fat! says:

The speedy red

5. Weight Loss says:

Reviews on the best weight loss products.

6. weight loss says:

The result of exercise and diet are a scientfic proven conbination that will promote fat loss and strengthened abs.

7. Weight Loss says:

Don’t be fooled by hyped up products, find real and natural solutions based on our extensive product testing and analysis. Expert advice on the products and ingredients you need to achieve your weight loss and health goals. With our tools you can design a custom program for your needs and see results within a two week period. Find simple life adjustments which are not overwhelming and fit into your lifestyle. Start seeing health results. The information you gain from our website is a strategic compilation of real solutions which create the exact results you are looking for. Don’t waste time following programs which don’t work. Let us help you find your next steps to amazing health.

8. Test Anchor says:

This is the perfect webpage for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You understand a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not that I actually would want to…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a subject that has been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

9. health essentials says:

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it won’t fail me as much as this particular one. After all, I know it was my choice to read, but I truly believed you would have something interesting to talk about. All I hear is a bunch of complaining about something that you can fix if you were not too busy searching for attention.

10. what causes weight loss says:

I really love your blog.. Very nice colors & theme. Did you build this website yourself? Please reply back as I’m planning to create my own blog and would like to learn where you got this from or just what the theme is called. Cheers!

11. can i lose weight says:

Hello there! This post couldn’t be written much better! Going through this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He continually kept talking about this. I will send this post to him. Pretty sure he’s going to have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

12. find out how can you get a six pack fast says:

The fast techiqueto get a 6 pack abdominals

13. how to lose 15 pounds says:

Good day! I just would like to give you a big thumbs up for your excellent info you’ve got here on this post. I will be returning to your website for more soon.

14. what is weight says:

This is the right blog for anybody who wishes to find out about this topic. You understand a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I personally would want to…HaHa). You definitely put a brand new spin on a topic that’s been written about for decades. Great stuff, just excellent!

15. Fix Your Problems says:

After I initially commented I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on whenever a comment is added I get 4 emails with the exact same comment. There has to be an easy method you are able to remove me from that service? Cheers!

16. Weight Loss says:

Weight Loss Now!!

17. find out how can you get a six pack fast says:

The fast method to build the muscle you desire.

18. Get Bulked Muscel Here!! says:

“Gain some weight this second. Click this link to begin!”.

19. Work out program says:

Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this write-up plus the rest of the site is also really good.

20. Hello there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I really enjoy reading your articles. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same subjects? Thanks!

21. weight loss says:

The quick black

22. Lose Weight says:

You really took time writing this. Thanks for writing it.

23. fat loss says:

Spot on with this write-up, I really think this website needs a great deal more attention. I’ll probably be returning to read more, thanks for the advice!

24. weight loss says:

A quick black

25. test says:

Thank you mate for the tips on getting my six pack abs. I will start my work on the diet.

26. spy camera for home says:

May I simply say what a relief to discover somebody that really understands what they’re discussing online. You actually realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of your story. I was surprised that you aren’t more popular given that you surely have the gift.

27. lose weight says:

A speedy black

28. test says:

The quick red

29. fast weight loss says:

The speedy brown

30. Jo - Six Pack Abs Diet Tips says:

Thank you so much for the tips on getting my six pack abs. Check out this place for more diet and exercise tips here.

31. weight and fat loss says:

The weight and fat loss should be a weight and fat loss that is simple and delivers a best quick result

32. weight and fat loss says:

A great weight and fat loss are be a weight and fat loss that is simple and delivers a best satisfied result

33. weight and fat loss says:

great weight and fat loss should be a weight loss plans that is easy to follow and provides a satisfactory results

34. weight loss says:

The results of this program have been nothing short of amazing. It was a very easy plan to follow and I never felt hungry. If that wasn�t enough, I felt like my energy level kept getting higher and higher. All my friends and family could see the difference and asked what I was doing!

35. weight and fat loss says:

The best weight loss plans can be a fat loss that is simple and delivers a great lasting resolution

36. fast weight loss says:

The fastest solution to help you with weight loss

37. weigt loss says:

information helps out a lot. Open this link now

38. weight loss says:

I used to be able to find good advice from your blog articles.

39. weight loss says:

Trying to lose weight is harder than people think, but finding the right informations help out a lot. Open this link above now.

40. lose weight says:

While wait loss is not as easy as some would have you to believe. Finding the right combination of what works for you that is the secret. for example what worked for jane may not work for you. it does take a certain amount of discipline and determination on ones part, however, as previously stated; what works for others may not work for you not every one has the same metabolism rate. for more tips visit me above,

41. weight loss calculator date says:

I simply couldn’t depart your web site before suggesting that I extremely loved the usual info an individual provide in your visitors? Is going to be again often to investigate cross-check new posts

42. Boris says:

Pretty good post. I just showed this to my bosswho was just talking about this.

43. fast weight loss says:

NO BS FAST Weight loss diet at NoBS-WeightLoss.com reveals the #1 WORST food that causes weight gain!

44. fast weight loss says:

STOP! WARNING! DO NOT visit this website unless you WANT NO BS WEIGHT LOSS! = NoBS-WeightLoss.com

45. the perfect weight loss plan says:

Great points altogether, you just won a new reader. What could you recommend about your submit that you made a few days in the past? Any positive?

46. fast weight loss says:

The ultimate success secret to weight loss…MASSIVE ACTION=MASSIVE RESULTS!!!

47. Weight Loss says: