MIAMI (CBSMiami) – It’s just a number, or is it? Shortly before Noon Friday, the clock will read 11 hours, 11 minutes, and 11 seconds on November 11, 2011. In other words, 11:11:11 11/11/11. For many, that’s a special, even mystical moment.
Across the world, people have saved the date and even the moment to say their vows. At popular South Florida wedding venues, like the Biltmore hotel, available wedding times have been long sold out.
South Florida hospitals are on the lookout for babies born at the special moment. But besides the odd date, why are people so excited about 11/11?
The number 11.11.11 is a classic example of apophenia, the human urge to see patterns in essentially random events.
– 11.11.11 is special because there is no other date that consists of all the same number, in this century. The day comes around once every 100 years, meaning Friday is the only time many people will be alive to experience the unique date.
A footnote: if like most people in the US you measure time by AM and PM, you will actually have 2 special moments, 11:11:11 a.m, 11/11/11 and the same time, p.m.
– Some websites are predicting the date 11.11.11 marks the end of the world because the comet Elenin, Earth, Venus and Mercury are expected to align. cbsmiami.com makes no such predictions, but check back with us at the end of the day to see who was right.
– 111111 x 111111 = 12345654321. We don’t know what that means, but it’s really weird.
– The movie 11.11.11 is being released Friday, on 11.11.11. It follows a famed American author whose wife and child are killed. He keeps seeing the number 11 and soon realizes 11.11.11 is more than just a date, it’s a warning. Please note this is fiction, we think.
– 11.11.11 marks the 93rd anniversary of Armistice Day, the end of World War One, at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. It is observed with one minute of silence at 11am.
Many believe this is the most important reason 11/11/11 is special.