Fire Forces Evacuation Of Sunny Isles Apartment Building
Celebrity Photo Galleries
Top Spots For Shopping In South Florida
SUNNY ISLES (CBSMiami.com) – Residents of a Sunny Isles apartment building were evacuated after something sparked a smoky fire.
Residents on the 11th floor of the Intracoastal Yacht Club, located at 16900 North Bay Road, said they were awakened by what sounded like an explosion just before 4:30 a.m. A resident of a neighboring building spotted smoke and called the fire department, according to CBS4 news partner The Miami Herald.
When they opened their front doors and walked out into the hallway, the residents said it was full of smoke. Many covered their mouths as they ran to the exits.
“We finally ran, made a run for it to the stairs,” said Kara Szczoma. “Ppeople were just, you couldn’t see the person in front of you, there was water everywhere, it was just complete chaos.”
Fire investigators could not confirm if there was an explosion. They did however say it started in the floors meter room.
No injuries were reported.
(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. CBS4 news partner The Miami Herald contributed to this report.)