Cash Strapped South Floridians Wait In Line For Section 8 Housing

HIALEAH (CBS4) – In what some are calling a sign of the times, hundreds of people stood in line for hours Tuesday to apply for low income housing in Hialeah.

Some even waited overnight at the Meadow Green apartments.

Gio Fajardo already lives at the apartments.

“I came from work at three o’clock in the morning came out right here people were sleeping they brought their beds,” said Fajardo.

Meadow Green and Russ Allen Apartments advertised they’re taking applications for their waiting lists for Section 8 apartments.

“This line is for final turning in of application then you just wait to see if you get one or not,” explained Kris Clark.  This is the first time she’s ever applied for Section 8.

Clark said the wait went smoothly,

“Organized, no skipping. They had everybody in one single line,” said Clark.

The office will accept applications again Wednesday from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m.

By 6:30 Tuesday night, a dozen people were already waiting.

There is no guarantee anyone will get housing, though.  The applications are for the waiting list if an apartment opens up.

Comments

1. Peted says:

This is a sign of the Obama Economy! When will people wake up to the reality that the president is ruining the economy!

2. AFSGTSAM says:

Somebody explain to my why I should be forced to pay for the housing of someone else who does not earn or pay for themselfs. End all the welfare and giveaways!

3. Mark says:

Hope and change baby!
    2012 Can’t come fast enough.

1. Mary says:

You said it brother!

2. Jim in Houston says:

Those who voted for this trash pretend president are personally responsible for the outcome of their stupid decision.

1. Barry's CT. SSN 042-68-4425 FAILED E-VERIFY says:

Another 5 letter for Fraud…
        O
        B
        A
        M
        A

3. Marot says:

26 million Americans unemployed, 55 million on food stamps, gdp 1%, 45000 US factories sitting inside China, 16 trillion dollars Federal deficit a depression is on our future, its going to be rough going…..

4. MrLogical says:

Does this news outlet have an editor? The writing is atrocious.

1. Captain Incredulous says:

I had the same thought. I am seeing more and more this lately. Perhaps they laid off the editor in order to save money. Now folks are self-editing and we all know what happens then.

2. Someone says:

No kidding. Bad punctuation, run on sentences. But hey, our public school system is awesome.

3. Coolbreeze says:

They were quoting verbatim the illiterate morons waiting in line.

5. David Maxwell says:

Rather well fed, now aren’t they?

1. JByrd42 says:

I was thinking exactly the same thing. The section 8 housing-welfare recipients are always well fed, now aren’t they?

1. Waiting Common Sense to Prevail says:

While I agree with you that many (perhaps most?) of people on government assistance should not be there, one thing to know is that quality foods are much more expensive than junk foods. Buying flour and sugar based foods are a cheaper way to fill stomachs. When I had income, I ate very well – vegetables, fruits, lean meats, etc. Now that I’ve lost my way of life, I don’t get to buy a lot of that. Cheap foods fill my basket, more often. I’ve gained weight and become less healthy. I’m still not on government assistance, but I tell you what, I’m about dead from working and lack of good nutrition and sleep, trying to shelter and feed my child.

6. Jesher Spelling says:

Don’t worry! Barry just lowered student loan payments today, and if the student defaults – they don’t have to pay them back at all. It’s the Welfare nation baby! We are no two tribes. One tribe signs the FRONT of the check, the other tribe signs the BACK of the check and want’s more and MORE every day.

7. Juan 1 says:

Cain is a 100% Black American like MLK not, a 1/2 black pretender raised by a White Marxist / Communist Family such as the POTUS.

“GO HERMAN 2012”

…………………..and Michelle sezs, “Time for Another Vacation”.

8. zach says:

Well fed and looks like half of them are looking at their cell phones!

1. Steve says:

They get the phones free too.

9. Scott says:

Funny how they can afford smart phones now isn’t it? Oh wait never mind those are probably welfare smart phones.

10. Dave says:

From that line, they’ll go to the line for food stamps and the line for public utility assistance. Then, it’s free health care, dismissal of college loans, and a fat union pension from a job they can’t be fired from. Living off the hard work of others is less stressful than actually working.

11. chester field says:

I like all the bling the one chick has on her arms with the designer clothes!!!!

12. CHANGE WE CAN BEREAVE IN says:

Hey, Obama Happens.

13. Booger McCoy says:

Ironic that the commercial I had to watch before the video started was a plea to help the homeless of Haiti.

Oh, and, evidently, even illegal alien whites can behave themselves better than the usual Section 8 recipients.

14. graz says:

hey, what’s with the cell phones. why should tax payers pay your welfare and for your cell phones

15. Bubba Johnson says:

While this story my make your blood boil, if you only knew how much the Feds were paying the owners of these properties, your head would explode. That, or you would consider offering your residence for Sec 8 housing. You too could get some of that Obama money.

16. JBar595 says:

We have a new National symbol to replace the eagle, it’s black and white, everything it touches stinks, say hello to the skunk.

17. Bob says:

I will be glad when Michelle Bachman is president. She really knows how to eat a corn dog!

1. JByrd42 says:

Just like Moohelle Obama. Always shoving cr*p into her mouth.

18. Gary-BG says:

Yes they seemed well fed but did you consider they could be persons that are about to loose their incomes or maybe just lost one wage earner in their households.Then as far as cell phones you can purchase a pre paid cell phone for next to nothing and add minutes whenever you have the funds.You do not have to be indigent to need help some people actually plan for the future and if that future looks bleak they act ahead of the train wreck they don’t wait till they are already in trouble and then whine about it like the occupy protesters.

19. Heg says:

I question the veracity of the posted photo.

20. Jeff says:

The only country in the world where poor people are fat!!

1. AFSGTSAM says:

Seems they can afford cell phones and designer clothes but they need to rob my paycheck to pay for an apartment…I have had enough of this insanity!

21. Sirjohnnyrotten says:

they are all fat white trash. they all have cell phones , cable , flat screen tvs and dont want to pay for the own housing. They must be democrats and voted for Obama

1. Johnny99 says:

Yes, I like fat black trash much better.

22. Spudman54 says:

Obozo sure knows how to buy votes.

23. glenp says:

don’t I see Obama’s ILLEGAL ALIEN AUNT ZETUNI in line there too?? the weather is so much better in theMiami area than Boston

24. CTcon says:

Being obese generally is indicative of poor nutrition, not from being poor.

25. Fidel says:

Hialeah is full of Cubans,,, notice the bleached hair, fat guts & cell phones. They are major scammers.

1. fidel says:

your last name is Castro

26. borntobepolitical says:

Cash strapped? Nah, mooches.

27. AFSGTSAM says:

FREELOADERS and BUMS that is what my grandfather would call them….why dont we bring back the good old terms?

28. Rann Xeroxx says:

Put them up in roach infested shacks if they want free housing. Make it so that it is not a place where you want to live.

29. SCAnn says:

Give them all a drug test.

30. JustAGuy says:

Obama’s Legacy: Welfare States of America

31. Red Burton says:

Some of us no doubt remember our parents using the term “Poor House” in a statement. “We can’t afford that. We’d end up in the Poor House!” Years ago an old-timer told me that when he was a kid, there really was such a place. In fact, his father died when he was a boy and he and his mother had to spend a few months in the Poor House. He said it wasn’t a place you wanted to go and people worked hard to avoid it. Democratic politicians have just about ruined this country by buying votes with nice, cushy handouts for deadbeats. I drove past the Salvation Army minutes ago on my way to work. It was handout day. I saw a number of people with sacks of free food climbing into their…ready? Into their brand new SUV’s. I drive my 2000 Pontiac with 150K miles from job to job. I guess pride has gone out of style here in the good ‘ol USA.

1. AFSGTSAM says:

Notice how they seem to be ablle to afford cell phones and designer clothes but they want to rob me to pay for an apartment! Sick Sick Sick !

2. Mike Christopher says:

I’m going to go out a limb here … I’ll bet ya dollars to donuts there were jobs available back then! How about bring back the jobs?

32. halfnorsk says:

Welcome to Obamaville.

33. BigBoa says:

This isn’t the half of it. There was recently an article describing that the government was spending upwards of 300 GRAND per UNIT to upgrade these places. Obviously the amount varied by location but the cheapest was like 250 grand in Minnesota. Living HIGH on the HOG baby….

And now O’Bozo the shameless is buying votes with student loans. Only God knows what else he will do before the sham election he is preparing to suspend or steal. We can NOT afford to have him in office until then.

34. jake49 says:

President Zero, Obowma, O’bummer

35. Bridget says:

They have cellphones but need housing assistance…

36. asc says:

How many of the people pictured in photographic support of this article are fiddling with their smartphones?

What they spend monthly for that device would be a good chunk of honest rent.

37. Crosscut says:

Don’t them white folks in those lines realize that these programs are’nt intended for them? Don’t buy a house in a neighborhood with Section 8.

38. jason says:

Producers and Non-Producers. Workers and Drones. Takers and Givers. We have become a society of “punish the successful and reward the lazy.” But i still have to drag my ass out of bed in the morning and go to work to support these people? HUD needs my money.

39. sal says:

This is the Obama base. These are the people that will vote for him again. God help our great country

40. KansasGirl says:

These same people get, food stamps, welfare ebt cards, child-care, utility subsidies, laptops, cell phones, free breakfast-lunch-dinner and yet they can’t afford to pay market prices for housing?

Folks, these people are pulling all of us down.

1. moutainhiker says:

How can these people pay there rent when greedy land lords want $600.00 to $2000.00 a month rent also I own my home so dont think I am sum bum I just dont see how these people can pat these crazy high price rents

1. KansasGirl says:

Then they should move to where they can afford the rent.

It’s not the taxpayers responsibility to support these moochers.

41. Steve says:

I told several people about job opening’s at Lowe’s a few years ago and called them to see how it went and at 10am they still hadn’t left to get in line.You can see what they like to wait in line for.

1. AFSGTSAM says:

We are so broke in the near future we will have no choice other than to start cutting these freeloaders off…then they will be lined up for a job….cut off the crack and they will recover in time.

42. walter12 says:

These people are too GD stupid to know that this is what you get when they elected this monster Obama. The slow but guaranteed destruction of the nation.

43. Fred says:

Clark said the wait went smoothly,

“Organized, no skipping they had everybody in one single line,” said Clark.

Yep, they look white. That’s why.

44. TS says:

A student at the local university where I taught had financial troubles so I offered a room for him and his family. We were perfectly happy hosting them but they found the government had low income housing handouts available. So now I pay tax for him to live there. I’d rather help my neighbor in need directly, thank you.

45. mj says:

Wow considering the educated sounding citizens interviewed in the story I am surprised they are not already CEOs of some Wall Street firm

They probably graduated Magna Complain Loudly from the local school system

Wish i had their numbers I would certainly want these Einsteins running a company for me

46. sb36695 says:

How’s that “Hope & Change” working for you?

47. murphda says:

The dumb and lazy are breeding, soon we will be outnumbered.

1. BosDan says:

They might be breeding, but most are also aborting, since that is what their masters in the gov’t tell them is the right thing to do.

48. SilentNoMore says:

#iamthe53

49. mamahasagun says:

Just wait for the free diapers to kick-in….everything is FREE FREE FREE. Oh yeah, there is a catch…the have-nots take from the haves. Does that sound “fair” to you?