Couple Suing Palmetto Hospital For Premature Birth Of Daughter

HIALEAH (CBS4) – A South Florida mother is suing a local hospital surrounding the birth of her child. She claims the hospital did not give her basic care.

Last August, Yasnai Deya says she woke up at 3 a.m. to a bloody discharge.

She and her husband say they rushed to Palmetto General Hospital.

“What were you telling the people at the hospital?” asked CBS4’s Gio Benitez.

“That I was in pain and also what I found in my underwear,” said Deya.

Deya says she was told it was normal.

“And no doctor came, they never checked me down there, nothing,” she said.

The hospital says it called her doctor, but Deya says only a nurse came.

“I trusted that she knew what she was doing,” she said.

A medical document obtained by a lawyer says Deya had “no vaginal exam.” The same documents say that four hours later, Deya was sent home.

“We got home, her pain increased, so we said, there’s something wrong,” says Deya’s husband, Duniel Deya.

Deya was in labor 26 weeks pregnant.

The Deyas say they went back to Palmetto General.

“We get back and the first thing they say is, oh, you’re back,” said Duniel Deya.

Little Ashlee was born and Dey says she was told the child was bleeding in her brain.

“The worst bleed, on both sides,” she said.

A year later, she says Ashlee has special needs.

“She’s not walking, she doesn’t sit by herself. she doesn’t grab things with her [right] hand. The brain bleed affected her more on [the right] side,” she said.

“I don’t care if they pull a doctor from the emergency room, some doctor needs to see this woman at 26 weeks pregnant, before she’s released from the hospital,” said Spencer Aronfeld, the attorney representing the family.

They are suing the hospital, her doctor, and the nurse because, they say, Ashlee’s premature birth and injury were a result of the hospital’s negligence.

“If a baby is going to be born way before it’s supposed to be, there are certain things that have to be done,” said Aronfeld.

The hospital says in a statement: “Our procedure for any Labor & Delivery patient discharge is based upon the private obstetrician or their subordinate’s medical determination that the patient no longer requires inpatient treatment and can be safely released from the hospital with appropriate discharge instructions for any needed follow-up care. Palmetto General Hospital believes that all healthcare providers provided appropriate care and treatment to Mrs. Deya. Throughout her visit to the Palmetto’s Labor & Delivery department, staff was in contact with Ms. Deya’s private OB/GYN’s staff and closely followed all orders given.  Her daughter’s premature birth was unpredictable and unpreventable. We are thankful that her daughter appears to be doing well at this time.”

CBS4 News left a message with the doctor’s office and as of Friday night, we had not heard back.

Meanwhile, Ashlee’s parents say she will undergo several surgeries over the next few years, along with weekly therapy.

Comments

1. edward says:

PLAY Lotto for free,
    just sue everyone for everything
    and hope for the best no matter
    who is at fault !

2. johnnybravo says:

these things happen all the time in hospitals, i notice that they really don’t care about why they were hire for and that is to help heal and safe life.oh there are good hospitals out there with good customer service,good understanding of the problems that arise with patients coming in for care.but Palmetto General Hospital,memorial hospital, and Florida hospital l are not one of them.Especially Florida hospital who has lots of people who are not certified in surgical tech procedures and would train a janitor or a front desk clerk to help the doctor with a operation….now that’s scary but its the truth and the states does nothing
    so i hope and pray these hospital get shut down for good

3. james says:

I have worked at Pal-Ghetto hospital and I can tell you most of the employees speak no or very little English, the hospital is referred to as Pal-Ghetto because there is always a lack of supplies which is due to managers getting a bonus if they can keep costs down so you are always searching for adequate supplies. Sometimes you would call on the floors and no one available could speak English. What a shame………I don’t doubt for one bit that this happened. A lot more goes on but the patients are too uninformed to know that they are not being cared for properly.

4. DOMINGO says:

SHAME THAT A BABY HAD TO BE BORN THESE WAY HOPE THAT THE BABY WILL BE OK .AS FOR THE HOSPITAL THE STATE NEEDS TO COME DOWN AND SEE WHATS GOING ON IN THE HOSPITAL AND FOR THE PARENTS OF THE BABY GOOD FOR YOU SUE THEM AND TAKE THEM TO COURT FOR ALL YOU CAN GET IT WILL NOT GIVE YOU THE REST YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AND WHAT THEY DID TO YOUR LITTLE BABY BUT WILL MAYBE TELL THEM SOMETHING DONT GIVE UP AND TAKE THEM TO COURT NATBE NEXT TIME THEY WILL DO WHAT THEY WAS NEEDE TO BE DONE AND NOT SEND SOMEONE HOME WITH OUT HAVING A DOCTOR LOOK AT THE PATION LIKE I SAID HOPE THE BABY COMES OUT FROM THESE OK WITH NO PROBLEM I WILL PRAY FOR YOUR FAMILY AND THE BABY GOD BE WITH YOU .

5. rausky says:

The last time I went to Palmetto Hospital, in the emergency room there weren’t even enough chairs to sit down. After dealing with a real nasty lady in the waiting room,I got up and left and drove 30 miles south to Baptist Hospital where I was treated decently and with respect.
    Palmettio and Hialeah Hospitals are the worst hospitals in Dade County. I’d rather drive all the way to Kendall and be treated at Baptist Hospital. Ever since Tenet took over these two hospitals, its been a total disaster! On top of that you have Castro’s garbage, who have no respect, or decency in treating people working there! Castro’s ” education”,I mean INDOCTRINATION have truly made these two hospitals the CESSPOOL they have become!!

6. Ana Rodriguez says:

I’m sorry deeply for the baby and her parents but this is an example what’s happening in all places giving services because the ownwers or the managers of these places only care about money and then when they go to a restaurant, asupermarket or even the hospital because every body must go to the same places and they consider not being correctly help go to place complaints without care the consecuences. Owners, managers and some employees must go straight to hell for incompetents, stupids and asswhole specially Sedanos, Publix and Winn Dixie who are real lovers of slavery age. I suggest to Mr Gio Benitez if he is a real man to make fame and fortune investigating how the real and unique working class is handling and treated by the owners or the puppets who serve this ownwers . It’s a shame how cubans bluffing about the creation of Miami but they forgot to dictate laws to protect the people who really work from bussiness ownwers AND I’M CUBAN .We complaint about Castro and we have a litle bit of him inside. Corrupted politicians and supporting slavery ownwers that’s why some people do wrong jobs or lack of interes even for the human life
    No body listen these thins because are not convinient so results are stories like
    this poor litle baby and the solution is to cash some money for it but the situation could be repeated at any moment because the punishment is just about money

1. rausky79 says:

Hey Ana I do not have any Castro inside of me! Palmetton and Hialeah Hospitals are run by GREEDY,CORRUPT morons who only care about PROFIT!! I’m of Cuban descent also. I personally would never work for my own people due to their GREED and lack of compassion for their fellow man or women!! That’s why I personally do not a Castro in me, as I don’t rob, steal, murde or exploit others!! So don’t put me with that bunch!!

7. eddiejo says:

So this “attorney” says if a baby is gonna be born prematurely, then certain things need to be done to prevent it? Bunch of BS … it’s all about getting money out of the place … doesn’t matter that you and boy friend were doing illegal drugs that made this happen. NO .. no personal responsibility for your actions, it’s always somebody elses’s fault.

8. carolinahurricanes says:

This is a very sad story. How can a hospital send a pregnant woman home without checking to make sure the baby is ok. I will never go to this hospital. How can they hire people who dont speak english especially at a hospital. This beats me.