cbs4 My 33 Header Logo

Local

FDA Warns People To Stop Using Massager Linked To Doctor’s Death

View Comments
Dr. Michelle Ferrari-Gegerson
Joan-Murray-600x450 Joan Murray
CBS4 Reporter Joan Murray Joan Murray is a general assignmen...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

FT. LAUDERDALE (CBS4) – The Food and Drug Administration is recommending that people who own a personal massager linked to the death of a Parkland doctor and the near strangulation of a second person should stop using the machines immediately and dispose of them.

A report today issued by by the Broward Sheriff’s Office named the massager the reason 37-year old Dr. Michelle Ferrari-Gegerson strangled to death on Christmas Eve last year.

According to a safety notice published on the FDA Website, the ShoulderFlex Massager distributed by Oregon based King International consists of a massage unit that sits beneath the neck, a handheld controller, a memory foam pillow and a machine-washable sleeve.

The device also contains a rotating bar with removable massage “fingers”.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that the death and near-strangulation associated with the ShoulderFlex Massager occurred when a necklace or piece of clothing became caught in the ‘massage fingers’ and rotating bar.

The FDA said King International has distributed 11,934 massagers since Oct. 18, 2003.

According to the Broward Sheriff’s Office report on the death of 37-year old Dr.Ferrari-Gegerson, they received a frantic call from her husband Kenneth Gegerson just after 9 p.m. on December 24th, 2010,  The report said when Coral Springs Fire Rescue personal arrived they found Ferrari-Gegerson “unresponsive and subsequently pronounced her deceased at approximately 9:11 p.m.”

“According to Deputy (Brian) Behan that upon entering the residence he observed the Shoulder Flex Deep Kneading Shiatsu massage machine still operating in the “on” position,” the report stated. “Additionally, Deputy Behan indicated that Kenneth Gegerson state the Michelle Gegerson was getting ready for work and wrapping presents and that she routinely used the machine to massage her neck. Kenneth Gegerson also stated that he had tried to revive her and that the necklace had been entangled in the machine.”

“The cause of death was mechanical asphyxiation,” said BSO spokesman Jim Leljedal. “Everything points to this being an accidental death. It appears that this woman laid down after wrapping some Christmas gifts to massage her neck with this machine. She was wearing a leather choker, contrary to the warning and the machine grabbed this choker and very quickly compressed the carotid artery and caused her to pass out.”

The FDA said they are aware of two other reports of incidents involving clothing and hair becoming caught in the device.

If it’s safety report, the FDA strongly recommend that people who have the machines should dispose of the “components separately so that the massager cannot be reassembled and used.”

No recall has been issued for the massager, but The FDA says it is currently evaluating King International’s plan to recall the ShoulderFlex Massager.

CBS4 placed a call to King International in Beaverton is awaiting a response.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,474 other followers