Cluck Out Of Luck: Judge Orders Hollywood Chickens Out

HOLLYWOOD (CBS4)- A Broward County Judge made a fowl decision Monday that will have some Hollywood chickens looking for a new home. Grant and Sandra Einhorn won a court battle that will force a neighbor to get rid of his chickens, but while the chicken squawking might end, it’s likely the legal squawking is just beginning.

The couple had asked judge Michele Singer to force Rene and Steve Kohn, who live next door to the Einhorns, to remove their chickens. The neighboring families have been battling for months over the noisy birds, which have been on the Kohn property in violation of a Hollywood ordinance.

“It’s squawking and it’s at sunrise, sometimes, prior to,” Grant Einhorn said.

Sandra Einhorn said the chickens are loud, smelly and giving them no peace.

“The worst part is the noise, it’s just loud and we don’t like being woken up by chickens,” said Sandra Einhorn in June. “Just the pitch of it and the fact you can hear it through the hurricane windows, it’s irritating.”

The Kohns have more than a dozen chickens at their house in the upscale Emerald Hills section of Hollywood.

Hollywood does have ordinance prohibiting residents from having poultry at their homes and the Kohns are being fined $250 a day for the violation. A special magistrate approved the fine, which was upheld in an appeal.

Despite the fines, the Kohns have refused to get rid of the fowl.

Steve Kohn said his chickens are pets and that his family is often misunderstood because they are Arab Jews. The Kohns said they have a right to raise the chickens as pets.

After a two day court hearing last week, Judge Singer ruled Monday that the Kohns chickens were causing irreparable harm to the Einhorns, and must be removed in the next 10 days.

“Neighbors shouldn’t have to worry about chickens coming into their yards,” Judge Singer stated in her order. “Neighbors shouldn’t have to hang heavy drapes in their houses or get hurricane proof windows just to keep out the noise of a neighbor’s animals.”

Judge Singer said that even though the Einhorns were aware of the next-door chickens when they bought their home, that made no legal difference.

She ordered the Kohns to stop keeping chickens, ducks, or goats in their yard.

The Kohns’ attorney plans to appeal the ruling on Tuesday. He says if that appeal is denied, the Kohns will obey the law and say goodbye to their feathered friends.

Comments

1. Stan Moscat says:

good call judge the people with the hens lthey act just like thugs

2. Desperate in Kendall says:

I have the same issue, but I live in Kendall. Does anyone know if there’s anything I can do? I have call 311 numerous occasions and nothing happens. The roosters wake me up around 4 am every day. The owner of the house left and he left them behind.

1. Cleo says:

If you can collect these chickens, try calling Grif’s in Davie and ask to see if they will find good homes for them. I am sure they would need for you to bring these birds to them.

2. Didine Dimanche says:

Hmmm….Coq au Vin sounds pretty nice!!!

3. BLESS YOUR HEARTS says:

My heart goes out to you. I had 3 show quality chickens in pristene cages inside my private home and was told they had to be removed and given 5 days . My daughter took them to her home, miles from here, but not used to being outside they eventually died. Thanks a lot, stupid laws. Now I am in the process of trying to sell this house to buy what I can where I can own chickens again. Believe me if I could care for yours I would..

4. Phil Landers says:

The Kohn’s could always move to Hialeah.

5. NCChickenLady says:

There are some really mean people on here. It is tough, when your neighbor has nothing better to do than target other people. The chickens were there first! Why did they buy a home right next to them? Duh. I saw a post from one of their former neighbors. The Einhorns ran her out, too. I’ve had a neighbor like that (in FL, oddly enough). Move to Northern Florida or the coast where people are nice and laid back. I have a 45 ac farm in NC. If you can get them here, I’ll keep them until you find a new home with better neighbors (or better yet, without them).

1. Gerry says:

I dont care where your from and who you are i be-leave ppl should have the right to have and put what ever they want on there property, the last time i check they are the one paying the bills there not the neighbor, neighbor need to mind there own business and look str8 and keep it moving, the chicken’s were there be4 those ppl moved in they should of look some where else, some ppl are very attach to there animals as if its a baby, for you mean ppl how would u feel if your neighbor said your kids or too ugly and need to go due to the unbearable site and nightmares. think about that.

6. NCChickenLady says:

It IS legal for them to keep the chickens as pets. The Einhorns are getting them on the noise ordinance. These articles are very misleading.