Mother Of Alleged Miami Gardens Shooter Apologizes To Victim’s Families

MIAMI GARDENS (CBS4) – For the first time, the mother of a 16-year-old boy who is accused in the slaying of a young couple at a gas station is speaking out and she is apologizing to the grieving families.

In a one-on-one interview with CBS4’s Peter D’Oench, the mother of defendant Eric Ellington said, “I wish I could say something to make people understand. I’m hurting. I don’t know what I can say to make them feel better, because I’m a mother. I have 3 boys and I raised them all by myself. I have a baby that’s 7 months old and I would never want anybody to do that to them.”

She said she was too embarrassed to give her name or show her face. With tears streaming down her face, she told D’Oench, “I feel sick about what happened. I really do. I’m hurting. I’m torn apart completely. I am hurt. You couldn’t tell me in a million years that my son would be accused for being an accessory to anything like this. He’s a good kid.”

She said she hoped her message would reach the families of 24-year-old Kennia Duran, a mother of 6-year-old boy, and 23-year-old Julian Soler. Police say Ellington confessed to being one of the suspects who shot them at 12:38 on the morning of July 25th at a Mobil gas station just south of the Palmetto Expressway on NW 57th Ave.

Soler and Duran were both shot to death while gassing up Soler’s 1997 Ford Mustand Cobra. They were ambushed, forced out of the car and shot. The shooting was captured on surveillance video from the store.

miami gardens gas station shooting surveillance Mother Of Alleged Miami Gardens Shooter Apologizes To Victims Families

(Photo Credit: Miami Gardens Police Department) Surveillance video shows a man pointing a gun at Julian Soler at a Miami Gardens gas station moments before he was shot and killed.

Police say Ellington named two of his accomplices and said his fingerprints were found on the victim’s car.

“Did Eric say anything to you about the crime?” D’Oench asked Ellington’s mother. “No I was clueless, clueless about the details.”

But when he was arrested, she said she told her son to tell the truth.

“I told my son, baby, baby be honest. Confess to give the other families a relief. I didn’t raise my son to be like this. Never, never. There was no reason. I don’t know where he got a gun. We don’t have a gun.

Ellington lived with his mother and her two other children and his grandfather.

In response to the mothers’ comments, the step-father of Kennia Duran, George Eaquirol, told D’Oench, “I have no sympathy for her. Maybe she can do a better job of finding out more information from her son about the suspects. We need them to turn themselves in as soon as possible. There was just no reason for this to happen. It was totally senseless. Kennia had a little boy, just 6 years old. And her mother is devastated.”

Ellington had nothing to say when he came before a Judge in bond court. He was held without bond and faces another hearing within the next 21 days.

We learned in court that he faces two counts of first degree murder.

His attorney, Jonathan Jordan, said, “It’s premature to say very much about this case. The state has 15 days to give us documents under discovery. That will be part of the investigation. He is innocent until proven guilty.”

A Police source told D’Oench that they believe Ellington fired seven to eight shots at the victim and there was no good reason for it.

The source said the suspects found out after the shooting that the victims’ 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra had a stick shift and they would not have been able to drive it even if they had taken it in the botched carjacking.

The surveillance video shows two suspects in an older model Nissan Pathfinder pulling up next to Soler on the other side of the gas pump.

As Soler got back into his car, he was confronted by a person from the Pathfinder pointing a gun at him. Another suspect can be seen on the video pointing a gun at Duran. As the two got out of the car, the gunmen opened fire.

The video shows the armed suspects getting back into the Pathfinder and speeding away.  The Pathfinder, which had been torched, was found later.

Soler died on the pavement next to his car. Duran was rushed to the Ryder Trauma Center where she died.

Police are searching for at least two other suspects. There is a $10,000 reward in this case through Crime Stoppers.

Anyone with information on this case is asked to contact Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at (305) 471- TIPS (8477).

More from Peter D'Oench
Comments

1. Papabear says:

Know Julian’s mother and glad they caught this thing that needs to be put in dark hole and then executed.

1. jackie048 says:

I’m glad this POS is off the street, he had no reason to kill my brother. I hope he stays in there for the rest of his life. And that the guilt of taking a persons life eats at him foreverf.

2. Barbara says:

so happy this POS was caught!!! now i want to know why!!!!!

1. Marc Cooper says:

why? because they wanted the nice car,,, that’s why.

3. RON4152 says:

Too bad he wasn’t aborted!
    Its people like him that make me pro choice. They bring nothing into the world but misery.

1. tim 3500 says:

I would of payed for the abortion.

2. PITUFO CALDERON says:

AND THEN SOME.LOL

4. IHATEPUNKS says:

Trash like him need to be thrown in the incinerator immediately. Where were the parents when he was growing up ?

These punks are brave when they have weapons and the victim does not. Without weapons they are nothing but cowards.

Execute the ba5t%#d

5. Britney says:

Poor kid, he did not mean it. The gun went off by accident.. It is the guns fault.. Now the bleeding hearts are going to find this young man not guilty because he did not mean to kill to people.. The gun made him do it….

1. REAL MIAMI RESIDENT says:

your a real funny idiot.thanks for sharing that.

6. Graybeeker says:

The gun went off by accident is just a lame excuse to try and change the reasons. He deserves the death penalty after his day in court. Sooner the better.

7. Loaine says:

Why does the world have to produce such disgusting people? Seriously, these little punks from Liberty City and Miami Gardens think they’re all tough just because they can get a hold of a gun. Take that away, and they’re just a bunch of little punks that will do just what to cops tell them to do. They’re not tough, they just like to play God to feel in control. This is exactly why people are still racist. I hope he gets the death penalty. People like this don’t deserve the chance to live.

1. jhjgg says:

couldn’t have said it better myself

8. yokolee says:

Very sad situacion for all the families……

9. Tired of this mess says:

This is the kind of stuff that keeps us divided. If you want to be a gangster, then battle gangsters and leave the honest hard working people alone. He and his crew are cowards and have left two greiving families. The day after conviction, they all need to be executed without wasting taxpayer dollars housing them in a cell. His mess is not what his mom deserved trying to raise him. For the two families who have lost loved ones, I am so sorry for your loss and hope the conviction brings some sort of comfort.

10. Trash says:

“Well it’s still early on in the investigation. Mr. Ellington is presumed innocent at this point” Well attorney Jonathan Jordan look at the video and finger prints on the car.

You can blow all the smoke up the kids ass….bottom line he did it

11. rpeti says:

that is what happens when you have 4 kids and cannot watch them and raise them properly. I am sorry “mom” but it is your fault to some degree. you should NOT keep having kids if you cannot raise them properly. other people pay the price of your negligence……

12. Carlos Paino says:

He was charged with two counts of Second Degree Murder, so he will not face the death penalty.

13. Graybeeker says:

Ok, weapon advocates where are you on this incident? Stand in front of loaded weapon without one to return fire and just maybe the weapon advocates would sing a different song!!

14. Alexandro De Pinedo says:

Thanks LORD.to bring this assasins to the long arm of the law.Thanks again.

15. M-KOOL-LIKE-DAT says:

DID THE MOTHER JUST SAY “HE’S A GOOD KID”?! …
    A GOOD KID POINTS A LOADED GUN AT SOMEONE, AND AIMING SHOOTS NOT ONCE BUT TWICE AT TWO UNARMED PERSONS?
    I MUST CONFESS AT FIRST I FELT BAD FOR HER AND UNDERSTANDING HER PAIN AS THE MOTHER SHE IS AND I FOUND MYSELF SYMPATHETIC TOWARDS HER AS THE HUMAN BEING I AM BUT AFTER THIS STATEMENT I LOST ALL RESPECT FOR HER. THERE IS NO PLACE FOR DENIAL IN A JUSTICE WORLD.

16. anonymous says:

if the gun went off my accident why were there 7 to 8 shots fired at julian? There is no such thing as a killer’s remorse HE DID WHAT HE DID BECAUSE HE WANTED TO DO IT WHEN HE DID IT. Now he has to pay the consequences of his actions while everyone else suffers the loss he instilled on kennia’s SON, mother, etc as well as julian’s family. While I agree that there should be more compassion in the world- his compassion can be found by paying the consequences of his actions and hoping GOD has more forgiveness. I dont feel bad for him, it was a stupid thing to do and if youre going to lead a life of crime KNOW that EVERYTHING unfolds…. the TRUTH always comes out. There is no space in the outside world for criminals. They all belong locked up.