Miami Beach Police ID Officer, 3 Injured In ATV Accident

MIAMI BEACH (CBS4) – A five year veteran of the Miami Beach police department has been accused of taking a department all-terrain vehicle on a high speed joyride on the beach with a female passenger and accidentally running into two people.

The Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office is waiting for blood test results to determine if Miami Beach police officer Derick Kuilan was driving under the influence of alcohol when he crashed into Kitzie Nicantor, 28, and Luis Almonte, 29, who were walking on the beach near 4th street early Sunday morning.

Jonathan Adames said he witnessed the incident. He said his childhood friend, Almonte, and Nicantor were hit by the officer who left the scene.

“I didn’t think she was going to make it,” he said. “She had sand in her mouth, blood and sand in her nose and her mouth. I’m enraged at the same time, I’m scared and I’m running around frantic. I don’t know what to do. These are my friends. I want justice.”

Almonte’s brother, Isramil Almonte, spoke to CBS4’s Silva Harapetian and he’s calling for justice.

“Had that been us, we would have taken a breathalyzer test right then and there,” he said. “They would have made our life impossible.”

Kuilan has been relieved of duty pending an investigation.

Miami Beach Police said that Kuilan violated department policy by allowing a civilian to ride on the back of his ATV. He was on ATV patrol on Miami Beach because of a rash of recent thefts.

Miami Beach Mayor Mattie Bower said she’s outraged.  She said Kuilan abandoned his post on the beach to have a drink at the Clevelander while he was on duty with another officer. That’s where she said he met a woman and took her on the ATV ride along the beach, ultimately crashing into a couple.

“It is terrible. It is terrible,” she said. “It is not supposed to happen. This is not what the police is all about. This is not what they are supposed to be doing. They are supposed to be taking care of us drinking or not the other policeman was supposed to be in North Beach.”

Miami Beach police said they’ve also launched a second investigation in the second officer who was also reportedly not at his post. They say that officer was not directly tied to the accident and say they will have more to say about him later this week.

Police have identified the woman Kuilan picked up as 27-year old Adelee Sharie Martin; having an ‘unauthorized passenger’ on the ATV is a direct violation of department policy.

When Kuilan reportedly ran down Nicantor and Almonte, Martin was thrown from the ATV.  She was taken to Mt. Sinai Medical Center with minor injuries and released later in the day.

Nicantor, who is from Washington, underwent surgery at Jackson Memorial Hospital on Sunday and is listed as stable.

Almonte, from North Miami, was also taken to Mt. Sinai where he too is listed as stable. His brother told CBS4’s Peter D’Oench that he was “very worried” about his brother because he has some serious injuries.

“He’s on medication and is drifting in and out of sleep,” the brother told D’Oench. He said Almonte is in the surgical intensive care unit at Mt. Sinai Hospital.

Some tourists and locals found walking along the beach after dark were appalled by case.

“It’s terrible. There should be an investigation obviously,” said Pam Pester, a tourist.

Grace Cabezas lives on Miami Beach and said she will be more careful walking out there after dark.

“That is disgraceful, horrible, a police officer is supposed to take care of us and protect us,” said Cabezas. “We’re not supposed to worry about police officers drinking on the job, that’s crazy.”

Miami Beach Police Chief Carlos Noriega declined to speak with CBS 4 News but later released a statement.

“On my orders the officer was immediately relieved of duty pending the results of the various investigations,” said Noriega in his statement.

“Should the investigations determine that the officer involved in this accident failed to follow existing policies and /or procedures then I will take swift and firm action. The safety and well being of our residents and visitors is the Miami Beach Police Department’s primary mission.”

More from Peter D'Oench
Comments

1. MichaelEdits says:

It was mechanical failure. (…he said with a straight face…)

2. Denis Fairbanks says:

Their motto “TO PROTECT AND SERVE” LOL.yeah right!

3. JOHNNY LAW says:

WHEN YOU SEE LAW ENFORCEMENT BREAKING THE LAW . DOCUMENT IT , POST IT , CONTACT THE MEDIA AND CONTACT THE PROPER AUTHORITIES . ITS YOUR DUTY AND YOUR RIGHT . ANY GOOD LAW ENFORCEMENT SHOULD THANK YOU FOR THAT RIGHT !

1. EL CUBACHON says:

THEN THEY WILL ARREST YOU FOR VIDEO TAPING THEM… AND PROBABLY SAY YOU HIT THEM WITH YOUR CAMERA. CAN’T TRUST THESE COPS MAN. BELIEVE IT OR NOT THEY CAN EASILY MESS YOUR LIFE UP AND GET AWAY WITH IT.

1. JOHNNY LAW says:

ONLY IF YOUR STUPID. IF NOT THEY WOULD BE VERY STUPID TO DO THAT ! THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE FEAR MONGERING AND INTIMIDATION THE DIRTY ONES PUT OUT. THE CITIZENS CAN DO THAT TOO !!!!!!!!!!! THE CITIZENS ARE NOW ON ALERT Go to ebay and search mini dvr Enjoy

4. Jonnathan Adames says:

Eye Witness Account: Last night my brother, one of my best friends, and I were walking on South Beach with two other friends when a member of the Miami police department was taking a joy ride on his ATV with a young lady he picked up at a Local night club who was celebrating her bachelorette party. I saw the ATV fly by doing around 60 miles an hour with the lights off. As he screeched by me I was in utter amazement at how fast he was driving while it was pitch black out, and that when I heard a crash like I’ve never heard before. The friend I was with yelled that “it’s them!” And we ran about forty feet to where they were and realized that he had just smashed into my brother and our friend. When I arrived there the cop franticly telling me to help him. After checking on my friends I took off my white shirt to flag down some cop cars, who were flying passed us because it was to dark to locate us, and returned to my friends to find that the cop had fled the scene! —Leaving us, and the young lady he was with, on the sand to die as far as he was concerned. My brother suffered a broken femur and a bad hit on his wrist. The young lady’s was in very bad condition, she was unconscious with sand in her mouth and nose. We had no idea what to do, she had blood and sand all over her face, in her mouth and nose, as she struggled to breath and fight for her life. She was on the ground with badly broken bones, internal bleeding, and a bruised and swollen face. I ran around trying to help the three injured people as best I could and only to find what seemed like the cops attempting to cover up for the officer who had split the scene, saying he was riding with his lights off because he was “conducting an investigation,” and “he only left to get better reception.” As I ran around back and forth between my friends and the other injured girl, who told to me that she was celebrating her bachelorette party and she “couldn’t believe he was driving with his lights off.” I felt completely helpless watching our poor friends on the sand struggling to survive for almost 40 minutes until they took them away only to get berated by a couple of rude officers telling my I couldn’t make sure my brother was alright and insisted that I, one of the only two eyewitness to the event, get lost and leave my friends in the sand in agony… Come on man, we don’t deserve stuff like this… Where’s the justice?

1. abootnkiki says:

i hope they use this statement against u in court cause u cant even tell if it was a miami cop or miami beach cop according to your statement;maybe u had a little too much to drink also

5. darious says:

They drag race down the beach all the time. This is not the first time this has happened and it will not be the last. The moral of the story: cops can do whatever the hell they want without consequences.

6. Carlos Cruz says:

Ahhhhhhhhhh! The city’s finest at their best… Covering up for each other. The “Blue Code”. I’m surprised they didnt arrest the eyewitness and charge him with causing the accident. Mayor Bower and Chief Noriega, you should also suspend and investigate the othe ass err officers who were trying to cover this up. Enough is enough!! Clean up your trigger happy department fast!!

1. Ms. Mack says:

Yes Carlos, I’m with you. I’m surprised that they didn’t come up with a reason to arrest the eyewitness (like disorderly conduct) and charge him. We wonder why most citizens are losing the little bit of respect that we still have left for most law enforcement officers. Think line between police and criminal. Sad to say but many are just criminals in uniforms that haven’t gotten caught yet.

1. THE CAT says:

As per: I have my storm shutters over my windows because I like to run around my pot plants naked while getting high. It helps take the edge off after shooting a couple people while on duty on Miami Beach. Google That ! Jacked

2. WATCH says:

Google this Behind the Blue Wall PoliceAbuse.com LEO Affairs.com

7. FYI says:

I seriously think that FDLE and/or the FBI should investigate the police department. There are too many incidents that are both illegal and unprofessional occurring in the department.

1. JOURNALIST says:

And the State Attorney too! She’ll take care of them like always.

8. HHMMMM says:

Just wonder if a cop under these circumstances has to immediately submit a blood sample for alcohol and illegal substance use screening, or at very minimum given a field sobriety test. Could simply be an egregious case of premeditated stupidity by the ATV officer…..that much worse if the guy was completely sober.

1. Dr. Dueye says:

After a big meal and a good nights sleep. They have a very strenuous job ! This is just one more incident that proves that……Take one of those in the morning.

9. mike says:

That abuse of power has been happening for years. I used to work on the beach at one of the restaurants on ocean drive. Cops used to slap and hit guys in front of their girlfriend at wet willies for no reason, and then charge them with battery on leo.
    they try to get free food from restaurants, hit on women all the time..drive and.speed like crazy, they get $50 under the table every time tremont towing or beach towing gets called so for sure somebody needs to get arrested, basically they think they own the beach. mbpd is one of the most corrupted departments in this country

1. JOURNALIST says:

Now that’s saying something !

10. Hugo Blanco says:

.A heavy investigation must to be make in Miami Beach Police Department . Satrting by the City ‘ s Administrator to the last ranking officer in the Police department . A lot wrongdoing things are happenning in this Department is not only one isolated action of one officcer.how they want to show us Remember that ‘s happenned on the Last Memorial Day ‘ s Weekend. That ‘ s concern to the mayor of the city too. If it is neccessary, a Recall must be considered on the table for removing The Mayor if we cannot see a deep swept in the Police Department as resultd . Now, the ball is in their net. And we , the peoples, we go to wait how they hit this ball now.

1. Micky says:

Yeah the cops killed a wanted attempted murderer what is wrong with that?

11. THE CAT says:

GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT. WHATS WRONG WITH THAT ! DID YOU WRITE THAT WHILE ON DUTY ? WHATS WRONG WITH THAT !

12. EL CUBACHON says:

STATE ATTORNEY KATHERINE RUNDLE: “THERE’S NOT SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE THAT THE OFFICER WAS DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE AND THERE IS EVIDENCE THE ATV HAD MECHANICAL FAILURES… SO THE OFFICER WILL REMAIN IN THE FORCE.” IN THE END… THE STATE ATTORNEY ALWAYS BACKS THESE CORRUPTED COPS.. ALWAYS!

13. Kathy says:

The bartender at The Clevelander should also be questioned. The cops were in uniform so they should not have been served. It’s insane to think that the bartender felt threatened if he didn’t serve them. And what about the idiot woman who went with the cop and got on the ATV? What was she thinking? Now that she’s left town, we will have to pay her round trip ticket to come back for questioning and / or trial.

14. justsaying says:

The most shocking thing to me out of this whole story is not that a miami beach police ofiicer was drinking and trying to pick up a woman while on duty or that he almost killed two people while driving his atv after having a couple of drinks. Not even the part where the eye witness is saying that the other officers on the scene were trying to come up with a cover up. No, the most shocking part is that this eye witness did not get his A $$ beat by miami beach finest then get arrested for stealing the atv and running these people over himself!!

But here is some good advice for you mr. eyewitness dont ever go back to miami beach because there is a big wanted picture at the mbpd station with your picture on it.

15. sharonkaren says:

And yet another disturbing detail…this officer has a pregnant wife at home. Lovely…