Miami Woman Can’t Afford Her Car Being Stolen

MIAMI (CBS4) – A Miami woman says she can’t afford to get her car back after it was stolen twice.

Valarie Kemp relied on her 1995 Ford Escort to get to work.  It was first stolen on Memorial Day weekend.   Police found the car, and Kemp paid to get it out of the impound lot, but she says a few days later, someone stole the car again.

Now she doesn’t have the money to get the car out, and every day storing the car costs an additional $20.

“If I’m going through this, how many other people have gone through this and they’re frustrated just hitting one wall after another,” Kemp said.

Miami Police say it is standard procedure for victims of car theft to pay towing and storage charges.  They suggest getting your car out of the impound lot as quickly as possible to prevent additional storage charges.

But Kemp says she simply doesn’t have the money.

“I’m the victim, it shouldn’t have to be that way, but it is,” she said.

The owner of King’s Wrecker Service, where Valarie’s car is being held, said he’s simply doing his job.

Frank Garcia told CBS4’s Maggie Newland he has to pay fees and employees.

“I gotta charge because I have to pay the city of Miami.”

After we explained Kemp’s situation, he said he would try to help her out if he could.

“I’m sure we can agree to something,” he said, but added he can’t give everyone a break, because then he loses money.

1. jr3906 says:

Isn’t this why we pay taxes to police? To find the culprits and return our stolen property. Why should we be billed for something we had no control over? Give the damn lady back her car! Government once again burning the poor and I am tired of it!!!

2. stevenronstein says:

this same thing happened to me. the two truck people are total jerks. for me it was $25 a day also. ridiculous

3. FloridaFan says:

This just sucks to high heaven. If you have your car stolen, you shouldn’t victimized twice.

4. Buz Bowen says:

The cop could call you to come get your car on the spot, but than they would not get a kick back from the tow truck peeps and a bonus from the PO PO Department, so come on peeps givema break and pay up

1. abootnkiki says:

agree.just call the people when u find the vehicle and give them a chance to pick it up

5. Dan says:

I have a friend who’s car was stolen and his phone was in it. He traced the phone to a house and called the cops and all they did was knock on the door… No answer never went back. Who ever has the phone has info on who has the car. The cop said no one answered the door so he can’t do anything. 2 days later my friend gets a call from a tow truck company in Miami, his car was stripped. The police wouldn’t even take prints of the empty beer bottles inside or eveneet with my friend. The Fort Lauderdale Police Department is a JOKE! They only look for drugs on teenager or hassling homeless people.

6. clayrenoit says:

Can I pay to be able to read about a comment without this jumping up-and down. I will pay so i can read without moving…that is just TRASH. READING