Pembroke Pines Woman Recovering After Water Moccasin Snake Bite
PEMBROKE PINES (CBS4)- A Pembroke Pines woman is in fair condition Saturday after she was bitten by a venomous snake in her backyard and hospitalized, authorities said.
Miami-Dade Fire-Rescue’s Venom Response Team said the 39-year-old woman was bitten on the hand by a water moccasin while moving lawn furniture in the backyard. The snake bite happened in the 18200 block of Southwest 4th Street.
Emergency crews arriving on scene just after 6 p.m. Friday recognized symptoms that appeared to be indicative of a serious venomous snake bite. The woman, Darlene Cutrone, was taken to Memorial Hospital in Miramar .
Members of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue’s Anti-Venom Unit responded to Memorial Hospital Miramar, according to officials.
Water moccasins, also known as cottonmouths, are common throughout Florida. They are usually found in water, along stream banks, in swamps and in tree bordered marshes. They can also be found in pine woods or other dry habitats, according to the Suncoast Herpetological Society.
Their venom can be deadly to humans if a bite goes untreated. But officials said that the woman’s quick reaction in calling 911 immediately as well as the availability of the Anti-Venom Unit were both significant factors in her recovery.
They grow to about three-feet long and have a reputation for being aggressive toward humans, according to the Suncoast Herpetological Society.
According to the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue’s Anti Venom Unit, snake bite season runs from April to October each year in south Florida.
Residents should be aware of their surroundings when working outdoors around shrubs and brush.