Scott Takes Blame For Budget Signing Problem
Get Breaking News First
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (CBSMiami.com) – Governor Rick Scott said he is accepting responsibility for one of his staffer’s decision to throw out protesters from his budget-signing ceremony last week.
Scott’s spokesman, Brian Burgess, said Scott neither made the decision nor was he made aware of it before the action was carried out.
Scott signed the budget in a May 26 ceremony in the tea party hotspot of the Villages in Central Florida. Sheriff’s deputies escorted about two dozen people from the signing saying it was a private event.
Burgess said there was confusion amongst staffers about whether the event was public or private, but the public had been invited to the event.
He said Scott has “received assurances from the employee, the employee’s supervisor, and his entire staff, that this confusion and the results it created will not happen again.”
(© 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)