Curfew Suggested For 2012 Urban Beach Weekend

MIAMI BEACH (CBS4) – Miami Beach city leaders are trying figure out ways to curb the violence seen at this year’s Urban Beach Weekend.

Their proposal? Set a curfew.

South Beach bars and nightclubs are known for their early morning last call, but Commissioner Jerry Libbin supports the city manager’s idea to move it up several hours.

“Maybe in this case, that we say, you have a 5 a.m. liquor license, but we want you to curtail it at 2 a.m. or 1 a.m.,” said Libbin. ” I think you’ll find a lot of businesses prefer to actually close.”

The idea is generating positive feedback from business owners and employees, who say the risk is simply not worth the reward.

“”I think you know most of the violence does occur after midnight, it’s not a bad idea,” said bartender Austin Gagnon, who also lives on the beach. ” “It’s pretty much the only weekend of the year that we have violence and destruction. In the end, sometimes it’s not worth the money. I’d rather be safe.”

Libbin plans to raise the curfew issue at the city’s next commission meeting.

“It’s a shame a few bad apples spoil the bushel,” said Miami Beach Mayor Mattie Bower. “I don’t know that I want to go down, personally, as a city with the curfew.”

Comments

1. sick of thugs says:

As someone who works with festivals and promotions, including urban weekend, the problem isn’t with the out of towners. I know that the majority of arrests this weekend was that of thug locals who go to the beach to start trouble. Most of the visitors are spending their money looking for a good time.Rather than impose a curfew, beef up the carding of underage goofs that prowl the beach and start fights because they can’t control their alcohol or are to broke to get in the clubs and are jealous…

2. domingo says:

i say control the thugs and set a curfew and make sure theres no drinking out side of the hotels and if you are on the street drinking put them in jail ,and if any fights start inside a club hold the club responsible for it fine them but no matter what is done theres always someone that will not like it cause the city will be taking from there profits .

3. l_g says:

DO NOT ALLOW THIS EVENT ANYMORE. THE OUTSIDERS ARE ALSO THUGS.

AND WERE DO THEY GET ALL THE MONEY TO SPEND ANY WAY?. YOU CAN EASELY WASTE MORE THAN $50. IN JUST A DRINK AND A SNACK. THEY DO THIS KIND OF THING AND GET AWAY WITH IN OTHER STATES BUT THE AUTHORITIES IN MIAMI WILL NOT ALLOW IT AND THAT’S WHY THEY HATE THE POLICE HERE.
    CONGRATULATION TO THEM ON THE SHOOTING. YOU’RE IN THE WRONG PLACE DOING THE WRONG THINGS AT THE WRONG TIME AND THATS WHAT YOU GET.

4. k says:

Sheriff i concur…except for the shooting part.

5. irish kevin says:

Have a Country Music Festival instead.

6. kimosabe34 says:

7. Aymi says:

Time for a change!!!!

8. Phil Gaines Forklift says:

You can serve Odouls and you would still have the ghetto influence ruining the festival.
    How about a weapons/contraband checkpoint prior to getting onto the beach? You would consent to open up your car and person and be searched.

1. Jimbo99 says:

Maybe it could be like the airports and they can have TSA do the searches ? Urban Weekend needs to end period. Just have a Memorial Day weekend, that’s not enough to bring enough vacationers to the area ? I bet they don’t feel any changes/dropoff in vacancy rates. They are still going to need the increase in police presence. But perhaps there isn’t the blatant violation of laws/ordinances ?

9. Chris Sinclair says:

I am a veteran and it is supposed to be about Veterans Day. Where is the parade, families and jets flying over head.

1. Paco Taco says:

I saw a big choco parade, plenty of families and no jets but helicopters after a shooting. Very nice weekend indeed. Had a better time in Jamaica getting mugged last year.

10. manny296 says:

They are lying this is not a Alcohol issue… This is a drug issue… This is what happens when everyone turns a blind eye on drugs…
    This is a drug territory war….
    This is a common sense issue…

11. watching you says:

CBS4
    Big Brother is watching you. Amendment 1 freedom of speech.

12. Business Owner says:

Why don’t the clubs just stop booking urban hip hop stars, DJs and Hosts. Then all of the ‘undesireables’ will stop coming every memorial day and labor day. Everyone knows they only come because of the club bookings. If the clubs book DJs like Tiesto, and the normal WMC type DJs, that will cure the problem instantly and actually bring a crowd that will spend money!!!

1. 305NMB says:

That is an excellent idea.

Also, crack down on drugs and you would eliminate a lot of the thugs.

13. Mike says:

They think a curfew is going to solve all the violence? LOL!! The zillions of uneducated thugs flocking to South Beach for hip hop weekend don’t know what the word curfew means.

Stop hip hop weekend all together! That is the only way to solve the problem. God forbid they actually do something on South Beach to celebrate “Memorial Day” for the weekend. Half of Miami don’t care what Memorial Day is because they are not from this country.

14. MiamiJoe says:

Move the Hip Hop festival somewhere else.

15. Trini Espada says:

Get rid of it altogether. Nothing is going to work with the street thugs visiting our city for Urban Weekend. This is not the first time problems occur. There have been shooting and robberies other years but I guess the city of Miami Beach doen’t want anyone to remember that it hasn’t been the 1st time. Its happened before.

16. Keke says:

Wait a minute this was my first a d last time coming to south beach and I’m a veteran and so are my parents… The weekend was a disaster it wast what I thought it would be however to l-g I want to say that every one that attended this event aren’t thugs do you kno the definition of a thug. And someone also stated where do they get the money from hey I work and earn a great livng to bad you can’t do the same and last but least I can to shop a d enjoy myself I didn’t like the clubs or the artist they booked… I don’t pay to see An artist I could care Les about them.. And lastly wasn’t the person that died one of your own