MIAMI (CBS4) – The public defender tasked with defending Jorge Barahona asked a judge to be withdrawn from the case.
In a Friday morning hearing, Judge Sarah Zabel granted that request and ordered that the state hire a private attorney who will be selected at random.
Barahona was not in court Friday, however, Judge Zabel ordered that he be present at the next hearing scheduled for June 3rd.
Earlier this week, documents in the Barahona child abuse and murder case were released to the public and provided glimpses into the troubled life of accused torturer and child killer Jorge Barahona. Nearly a thousand documents were released Wednesday by the West Palm Beach State Attorney’s office.
The documents reveal Jorge Barahona told authorities he believed his adopted children, Nubia and Victor, tried to poison him by putting baby oil in his soda in the days leading up to the grisly discovery of the trio on the side of I-95 in West Palm Beach.
According to a 930-page document, Jorge told police Nubia died at his Miami home in February, but didn’t say how. He said he gave Nubia and her twin brother medicine to sedate them in the days before the twins were discovered in his truck alongside the busy highway.
The new documents are a compilation of search warrants of the Barahona home, cell phone records, statements from family members including Barahona’s sister and an apparent suicide note Barahona wrote in 2006.
To read more about the information in the documents, click here.