Broward Woman Who Left Child Home Alone Charged

FORT LAUDERDALE (CBS4)- A Broward mother is facing charges after she allegedly left her five-year-old home alone for the entire day.

Jennifer Peterson, 28, appeared before a judge Wednesday morning after she was arrested by the Hollywood Police Department for leaving her child at home for approximately seven hours.

But Peterson told the judge she had to leave the child home so she could go to work and avoid being fired.

“Right now, frankly ma’am, this court’s not sure whether you’re a capable parent,” said Judge John Hurley.”Your poor judgment is shocking!”

Neighbors called police when they heard the child crying. A police officer who reported to the home saw the child through the front window. She asked the child to open the door but the child was unable to do so since the door was locked, according to police.

Soon after the officer was able get inside the home through a window. According to police, there was no way for the child to leave the apartment in case of an emergency.

After speaking to the child they discovered that her mother was at work.

” She didn’t ask us.  She knew we were home, but she didn’t ask us.  She said she didn’t want to bother me, because I’m always telling her you need to find another babysitter,” said Peterson’s neighbor Kristen Radell.  “I already babysat the kid 3 days that week and I was planning on babysitting that Sunday.”

Peterson was charged with child neglect and released on her own recognizance.

During the court appearance, Peterson was emotional when she was told she was not allowed to have any contact with her child.

The child is in the state’s custody.

Comments

1. m says:

Poor kid. All alone and scared half to death. Is this woman CRAZY!!! You do not leave your child by itself for no amount of time. Luckily he did not do anything that would have harmed himself.

2. William O'field says:

OK… This is crazy…

We should pay attention to the little kids walking allow to and from school…
    Without approving this lady actions, I think many thousands of kids who walk to school every day, face grater dangers than staying home alone…

1. Anti Slackermom says:

You’re an idiot,

3. yokolee says:

………..Judge not, she was a work…..

4. J.J. says:

This is so unfortunate. No work, no pay, no food, no paying bills. It’s obvious the mother couldn’t afford to loose her job, therefore she took a chance leaving the child alone. It was a catch 22 situation & unfortunately things didn’t work out too well for the young mother. I hope she’ll be reunited with her child soon, & that family & friends will watch the child when needed.

1. Anti Slackermom says:

I can just picture you slacker mothers defending this psychopath! Don’t you get it?! SHE HAD A CHOICE! Her best friend said it on the news! She was WILLING to take care of the kid- but the mother was more worried about her PRIDE than her child’s well being! She said “I didn’t want to bother anyone.” YOUR CHILD is more important than your pride dummy! I hope she gets taught a lesson. It’s a hard world, but it is the child that suffers an irresponsible parent. Stop making ignorant excuses! I’m ashamed of those of you who sit and make them! Disgusting!

5. Dee says:

So it was wrong of her ! you can say why the child is not with a family member.A grandparents,his dad or aunt,uncle, a friend or neighbor..why did she not call off to work..who takes care the kid normally.Why is the child not in school or daycare.

Answer the mom has no family,her friends are at work or does not have anyone.Father is not known or he does not care or she could not locate him.

The fact she was at work!!! The economy is bad and if you are a single parent and get no other income..you can’t afford to lose your job.

Yes it was wrong if I was in her shoes I would taken the child to childcare center nearest to my home or job..could afford it try to figure out what to do.
    Or would taken my child to work and gone to my boss explain the situation.
    When you have a child with a partner or you are single parent and the priority
    is that child….and that child well being.

Is not acceptable but this a fact of life and the bad poor judgements that parent like her make.. They should return her child and just keep and eye on her or provide help for her. Because every cut back in programs or you Do Not Qualify for a program this are the consequences it brings.

6. Dee Medina says:

Dee

Or would taken my child to work and gone to my boss explain the situation.
    When you have a child with a partner or you are single parent and the priority
    is that child….and that child well being.

7. Francis A. Esguerra says:

I actually don’t blame the Mom at all but do hold her responsible. how is this woman single mom supposed to keep a roof over her head, feed and take care of her son? with the high cost of living and Dead beat dads out there this is the sort of stuff you are going to see. I personally would have taken my child to work and if they did not like it tough! until i would have been able to make accommodations with a family member or a baby sitter. to all the business owners out there have to show some compassion to single mom/dad’s out there. In a situation like this where the son and mom lose is really tough to stand by as spectator and judge her. hindsight is the best foresight!!

8. Myname Here says:

The child is 5 years old! I don’t care if she had to work! HOW are you people excusing such neglectful, disgraceful behavior?! I feel shocked and disgusted. It is The Child who will suffer! I’m 100% sure she could have worked something out with her boss IF she cared enough to TRY! This situation is inexcusable! That poor child could have been abducted, killed, raped, or forced into a prostitution ring! Wake up slacker moms! Care for your kids! Either that, or don’t give birth! Maybe this crazy woman will learn her lesson and get the (desperately needed) help. You cannot recieve government help if you don’t ASK for it! Things like this happen when women are selfish, immature and blind. They aren’t raising their kids; only forsaking them! God have mercy on this woman! No Leniency!!!

1. Mari says:

to Myname Here:
      While I don’t condone what she did, why are you making statements you have no way of knowing the answers to?? How do you know she did not ask for government help? The child of a friend of mine asked for help with daycare and because she WORKS (she does not make much) they would not give it to her!! The so-called friend next door already has told her many times to get another baby sitter! My prayers go to this child and hope the mother can get help to care for her. Custody by the government has not been real good for a lot of children…they are dead. Hopefully we as a community would do more for those who are actually trying to keep a job and take care of the kids, but if you don’t know how the SYSTEM works you get denied. It is sad. Mothers out there, please don’t leave your children alone in the house!!