World’s Largest Passenger Plane Coming To Miami
World's Biggest Passenger Plane
MIAMI (CBS4) — The largest passenger airliner in the world is coming to Miami. Tuesday, Lufthansa announced that it will be the first airline to offer scheduled Airbus A380 service to Miami with daily flights between Frankfurt and Miami beginning June 10, 2011.
“Lufthansa’s announcement of the A380 coming to MIA is a pinnacle moment we have eagerly anticipated for many years,” said Miami-Dade Aviation Director José Abreu. “We are honored to be one of the first U.S. airports Lufthansa has chosen for A380 service and we greatly look forward to welcoming the historic first flight from Frankfurt in June.”
Flight LH463 will leave Miami at 4:10 p.m. and arrive in Frankfurt at 7:15 a.m. the following day; the return flight LH462 will depart Frankfurt at 9:55 a.m. and arrive back into Miami International Airport at 1:50 p.m.
Rates start at $614 for a one-way fare based on roundtrip purchase.
So just how big is the double-deck, wide-body, four-engine Airbus A380?
• Football field-sized aircraft
• 237 ft. long (equal to two blue whales)
• 79 ft. high tail (the height of five giraffes)
• 263 ft. wingspan (35 wedge-tail eagles)
• 1.3 million lb. (165 elephants)
• 5,150 cubic ft of cargo and baggage hold (or 35 million ping pong balls)
• 53 ft. long inflatable emergency slides (longer than a double-decker bus)
• 330 miles of wiring (distance between Paris and Frankfurt)
• 4 million parts produced by 1,500 companies from 30 countries
• Can hold up to 853 passengers in an all-economy configuration, however Lufthansa’s A380 is configured with 526 seats and features the airline’s new First Class located on the upper deck.
• It has a 40-percent higher takeoff weight than the 747-400, but it burns 12-percent less fuel per seat and it emits half the noise.
• The A380 HAS 50-percent more floor area than the 747-400.
• Lufthansa will have 23 cabin crew members on its A380s, which is seven more than it uses for its 747-400.
• Some custom-made A380s contains double beds, luxurious shower spas, VIP cocktail lounges and up to 6 self serve snack bars.