Early Voters Staying Home In Dade Special Election

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – If the first six days of early voting in the Miami-Dade special election are any indicator, voters are far less interested in picking a new mayor than they were forcing one out of office.

In records published by the Miami-Dade Supervisor of Elections, fewer than 14 thousand voters have found their way to the polls through Saturday evening.

Saturday, the first day voters would have had a full day to find time to vote, 17 of the 20 early voting polling places had fewer than 100 voters the entire day. At the Lemon City library, just 19 voters came. 20 voted at the city hall in Florida City.

In the election to recall former Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez, daily voting turnout was much higher during early voting, with about 70 thousand voters over 14 days.

Interest is a little better among voters choosing to vote by absentee ballot. To date, Miami-Dade has mailed out 113,208 absentee ballots, a process they started April 29th. As of Saturday, slightly fewer than 42 thousand had been returned, or about 37%.

Every voter in Miami-Dade county can vote on selecting a new Mayor, and on 6 proposed changes to the county’s home rule Charter.

In addition, voters in the Miami-Dade’s District 7 and District 13 can vote for a new county commissioner, and in House district 110, voters have the chance to select a new state representative.

Early voting continues through next Sunday at 20 locations in Miami-Dade, which you can find on our CBSMiami special election’s guide, along with poll hours and links to candidate websites. Early voters can vote at the site most convenient for them, but on election day, they must vote at their assigned precinct.

Comments

1. Common Sense says:

It is no wonder voting is low, the media has told the public that you have three money grubbing, bribe taking professional politicians to choose from.

On the one hand we can thank the media for telling us about how much money these guys took in as pre-election bribes.

It is up to the public to process that information: Why would a group or company give big money to a candidate? What could a mayor give them back in return?
    Who would end up paying for this? You and me of course.

Since the media did not report on the remaining candidates, we have to research on our own.

I am going for the educated and trained professional in economics.

I am sure you are wondering what economics could have to do with the job as Mayor or maybe even what economics IS.

Would 150,000 good paying private sector jobs be beneficial? May be who just like a better job.
    Is it likely that anyone else is going to help you achieve energy independence? How much are you wasting on high priced energy?

How about being able to payoff a house in half the time?

How about eliminating property taxes? Yes and you renters pay the landlords property taxes.

Did you know that Interest, Energy and Property taxes adds tremendously to the cost of everything you buy?

I am going with the guy that is going to slap the big banks up beside their thieving heads and put an end to the abusive foreclosures.

I am going with the guy that will teach people that have been devastated by this economy, how to recover graciously.

I am going with the guy that can fix Jackson Hospital and the Transit System.

I am going with the guy that would not sellout to the Special Interest Bribe money. It is amazing that the public will vote for a person that had sold them out even before being elected. They brag about these bribes, the media praises them on taking the bribes and the voter overlooks the fact that they will pay for whatever favors are tied to those bribes.

So will you tell me, why you are voting for who you are?

2. Me says:

I’m not voting. I’m just working as many hours as I can so that I can move out of third world Miami Dade County. A Cuban will become mayor AGAIN and in six months be outed by the community for corruption. It’s a loop and will never stop.

Oh and that “Hispanic” ONLY event at F.I.U., that was the most racist and stupid thing I have ever witnessed. Just goes to show the mentality of the Cuban community in Miami Dade. They replicate Cuba and don’t care to realize they are in the USA.

1. Roger Keith says:

Good Me, tuck your tail between your legs and leave! Maybe you could run for Mayor somewhere else where there are no Cubans or hispanics.

1. carol says:

when they did the HISPANIC ONLY event…it wasnt that they were allowing only hispanics at the event,..it was that they were going to speak spanish….If you wanted to go, they wouldnt have stopped you.

3. Dr, J says:

Well, there are other nationalities in this county and one has to wonder why they don’t run for office. I guest the answer is probably the Cubans own this county, well, that is not necessarily true. There are those who could win and win big in this county if they would run. If you can put together a recall you can win an election easily. I think that even the Cuban community is tried of the corruption that continues in this county. It doesn’t matter what level of government it’s all the same one after another. The same people run all the time and they move from one department of government to another with the same corruption and no one seems to care. I guest it’s like being home again just in another country.

4. Stan Moscat says:

if you live in the u. s. a. speak english.

5. bee says:

I am not voting either. I agree with ME. I am tired of these money hungry politicians. It seems that everytime I vote is to recall someone. Just look at all the idiots that voted for Rick Scott…. racist Cubans who can’t even speak English. I am tired of Miami Dade. When I get my degree and I move out of my moms, I am LEAVING. Good bye Miami.

6. Grovelocal says:

The majority of voters in this county vote according to last name, not issues. It’s frustrating for someone who speaks only English because now we must research the candidates on our own because, with the overwhelming Latin population the candidates don’t care about us or what we think. The voting power is with the Spanish speaking population. If the English only speaking population complains, it’s the same old, “if you don’t like it, leave” answer.
    The recent debate for Spanish speaking voters and candidates only shows just how out of control and ridiculously obvious the racism in Miami is.

7. Grovelocal says:

Hey Carol, for the next election cycle we are going to have a debate among the candidates about their stance on the issues and how they plan to run the city, but we’re not going to let all the candidates speak and they’re going to be speaking Cantonese. Feel free to attend.

See how stupid that sounds?

8. DOMINGO says:

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE BUT IM NOT TAKING THAT GIVEN RIGHT WHY SHOULD I VOTE FOR THE PEOPLE THAT ARE RUNNING ARE NO BETTER THEN THE ONE WE TOOK OUT OF OFFICE THEY ALL KNOW HOW TO TAKE MONEY FROM THE PEOPLE AND NOW THEY HAVE A BETTER WAY TO DO THAT GO FOR THE MAYOR FOR THE COUNTY AND TAKE A LARGE PEICE OF THE PEY AND MORE MONEY IN THERE POCKETS SHAME THAT WE CAN HAVE SOMEONE THAT REALLY CARES ABOUT THE COUNTY AND THE PEOPLE THAT PUT THEM IN OFFICE ALL THEY CARE IS TO SEE HOW THEY CAN STEAL AND NOT GET NOONE TO KNOW IT SHAME SAME GOES FOR AL POLITICAL OFFICE AND THE PEOPLE THAT RUN THEM EVEN AS FAR AS WASHINGTON .

9. Grovelocal says:

A question to the CBS moderators
    , Is there a way to obtain a translated transcript of the FIU debate?

10. Grovelocal says:

Thank you.

I just thought they might have made one available to the other media in SoFla to avoid some of the flak.

11. Love USA says: