Univ. Of Miami Football Player Turns Himself In On Rape Charges

CORAL GABLES (CBS4) – A University of Miami football player turned himself in to police Wednesday afternoon to face rape charges.

Coral Gables Police say Jeffrey Brown, 19, sexually assaulted a student who was severely intoxicated.

Police say Brown helped the victim into her dorm room and placed a trash can beside her bed before exiting the room. Brown then reportedly returned to the victim’s room and sexually assaulted her, despite the victim repeatedly asking him to stop. The victim reportedly told police that she was powerless against Brown, due to his stature and her level of intoxication.

After being read his Miranda rights, police say Brown confessed to the attack.

He was booked and transferred to Miami-Dade County Jail.

“If it has happened, it’s horrible,” said UM student Josh Livesley.

“He’s been accused but no one proved anything, so we don’t know anything yet,” said UM student Philip Kaleda.

According to his biography on the UM athletic site, Brown is a 6’3” redshirt freshman defensive end originally from Evanston, IL. He was considered a three-star recruit by ESPN.com and named a number 75 overall defensive tackle in the country by scout.com.

Late Wednesday, the University of Miami released this statement: “The University of Miami released a statement saying it has become aware of the serious charges made against a student athlete, and he has been suspended indefinitely from the football program. In accordance with its procedures, the University cannot comment further at this time.”

Brown’s attorney in Chicago says the allegations in the police report are incorrect.

“He did not commit a criminal act. We intend to clear his name, it’s an unfortunate incident. We expect to bring these charges to a quick resolution. He did not commit a crime. End of story,” said Tom Durkin, Brown’s attorney.

Comments

1. WILDBILL says:

i have been a fan of the U for a numbers and i only have to say is that jeffrey brown better not ever be part of a great program like we have at the U.there is no need for a RAPIST to be part of the team or at the universty.WILDBILL.

1. WILDBILL says:

bill burns,you think that theyonly smoke crack.let me guess who’s the one holding the pipe.

2. Adiana says:

Slam dunkin like Shquialle O’Neal, if he wrote informative articles.

2. steve says:

first score of the year

3. Andy Carr says:

At least we are following Univ. of Floria’s success model.

4. Carol says:

This is beyond sad to think he had his whole life ahead of him and look what he does make a total mess because he was drinking to the point he didn’t know what he was doing.

But these are the kind of stories that make me so ill to my stomach I can’t express myself properly on this web-site but this is why they have to change the law from rape to manslaughter because the person who was raped is gone for life and there is a new person that is left totally different in everyway shape or form. She will need professional help right away to deal with that new person I know I have been there but when it happened to me so many years ago there was no such thing and I didn’t have the nerve to speak out because the person who did this to me was family and he told me he would harm my mother if I talked so I never did and this happened to me for nine (9) years from the age of twelve (12) through the age of twenty-one (21) and it finally stopped when I got married the first time.

I lost many many good jobs lost my first husband and many parts of my family and so much more.

1. bill says:

he did it all by him self ,so carol do not worry about him, just worry about yourself,and try to be as happy as you can be.bill.

5. Jose says:

FloriDUH the land of UNDER AGE drinking with countless clubs, bars, stores selling them alcohol without checking ID and authorities looking the other way.

6. Jorque says:

Go find Tom Durkin’s daughter and do the same thing to her. This will suddenly look a lot more like a crime to him.