Teen Dies After Being Pulled From Hialeah Lake

HIALEAH (CBS4) –

A teenage boy who drowned in a lake at McDonald’s Park in Hialeah  has been identified.

The body of Marceon Butler, 15 was pulled out of the water just before noon Wednesday.

Hialeah police were called to the park, located at 7505 West 12th Avenue, after someone spotted teenagers jumping from a bridge into a lake, right next to the park’s wave pool and lazy river.  Witnesses told police three teens jumped into the water but only two came up.

“In this neighborhood everybody.  It’s natural.  It’s not a big deal.  But he did it.  I guess he couldn’t swim,’ said witness Rosniel Reyes. ” There is rocks down there.  There is stuff down there.”

Witnesses said the Butler’s friends dove under the water but couldn’t help their friend.

“They tried to help him out.  But I guess they couldn’t and they just left him.  They left.  They ran,” said a witness.

Two Hialeah police dive teams searched the lake but couldn’t find anything. Police called CBS4 to Chopper 4′s camera above the scene.

“They did search the complete lake and said it was clear,” Captain Ceaser Espinosa with the Hialeah Police Department said. “They found nothing.”

Moments later, one diver could be seen diving deep near a bridge and then coming up with a Butler, who was unconscious. A large number of fire rescue personnel then pulled Butler out of the water and placed him on a stretcher.

Paramedics quickly began performing CPR as he was rushed to a waiting ambulance, but it was too late to save him.

Police told CBS4 that Butler was recently suspended from school.

“I have like three classes with him.  We were really tight.  He was a really good friend,” said friend Leslie Delgado. “I had heard of people doing that but I didn’t know it would come to an end like this.  That somebody would die out of that.”

Student Chelsea Storr remembers when he competed in a push-up contest sponsored by the school’s JROTC program.

“He didn’t win but his confidence and everything was really good,” said Storr.

She liked Butler’s attitude but still thinks he should not have jumped off that bridge.

“It’s not worth it. You leave behind so many friends and family. It’s sad,” she said.

Comments

1. GAIN AND AGEIN says:

Where are these parents?

Hialeah is a CESS POOL of people…., including it’s MILLIONAIRE PONZI Mayor

ju-lio rob-a-in-a

1. Jeni says:

Probably working. This thing has sadly happened in many different cities. It is not a reason for you to judge anyone. Instead you should be hoping your kids are safe and not falling into peer pressure of any kind.

1. Sandra says:

I agree. People automatically like to blame parents. Parents try their best to raise them right but unfortunately, kids fall into peer pressure and parents can not be with them 24 hours a day even the stay at home moms can not be with them 24 hours a day. This tragedy can happen to the best of kids, they are good kids at home but when they go to school that’s where things happen and sometimes it’s caught on time and sometimes it’s not. My heart goes out to this boys’ parents and family.

2. rausky says:

Gain and Agein ,your racist comment is not only uncalled for,but it shows the lack of compassion and humanity you possess! Losing a son is one of the worst nightmares a parent canm go through! You are a dispicable racist!!

1. Briona Tucker says:

Thank you for keeping my family in your prayers.

3. Evelyn says:

This is a sad sad thing that has happened. Please people that log on here and post do be respectful and don’t post anything mean or thoughtless. A family is suffering from a loss of a beautiful young teenager.

All kids no matter how hard family and authorities try to help prevent things from happening terrible things do happen. I have told many kids I have met the dangers of jumping in any canal or lake. How do you know who pushed a shopping cart in there right before you jump in? May kids don’t think of that. The water is so polluted not to mention the bacteria in it too. You can see through the murky waters. Many people adults and kids are not educated about the dangers. On top of this there is also peer pressure.

I feel so bad for this kid and his family. So many teenagers have been doing just what he did. How was he to know what was going to happen? There was no way! With this story I found out a member of my family was doing this too. Of course I will have a talk with them now.

As for all the commentsI have read here shame to some of you for not thinking before you send in a message and bless you to those that wrote warm loving messages.

All of the negative comments and thank god they look like some were deleted are based on ignorance. How can you blame the parents? That is so unfair. They work don’t they? No parent, school official or anyone can watch a child 24/7. As for the remark on security at HML. HML security has no authority to leave school to track your kids down. This teen was on school suspension. Just because a teen or kid is on suspension does not make them a bad student or person. Suspension can be given for so many reason.

If you have a child and have had the luck of keeping them out of danger it doesn’t mean you know better. In this world we live in it means you just got lucky. Statistics for teenagers and adults dieing from car accidents before age 26 is one out of every four. Their are more statistic out there this world is dangerous.

This story is of sadness. Grief only as the family can feel right now. Only respect and warm wishes should be given out. Blame should not be placed on anyone. May he rest in peace.

1. estee says:

you are so right instead of people writing such stupid comments do something productive and pray for this young man’s famiily who must be going through hell right now

4. Erma StayBlazin says:

This was my little cousin , first cousin , his father is my mother’s brother , my uncle is a wonderful father !! probably a better father than an man you have ever known and it peoples comments and opinions like yours that is making this terrible for my family . please remain un biased and non ignorant .

2. yokolee says:

Oh dear Lord how sad

Condolences to the family

3. Dave says:

Horrible. My son is 14 and in school. We all need to show this story to our kids…

4. Gilberto says:

This kid was my friend and went to my school! you know what it is to see him on second then the next he’s gone?! GAIN AND AGEIN YOU DONT KNOW HOW THAT FEELS! I hope karma bites you in the ass!

1. rausky says:

Yes Gilberto I also wish the same thing for this racist,uncompassionate “perso”. May Karma bite her like we say in New York UP THE WAZOO!!! My condolences to the family. She a shame to lose such a young kid at the prie of his life!

1. GAIN AND AGEIN says:

@Rausky & Gilberto:

I live in New York City, Manhattan,

I am a HE, not a SHE,

Why was the child suspended,

& NOT IS SCHOOL?

Yes, I do feel SORRY FOR THE FAMILY…I lived in that neighborhood in the 1960s

2. Anal Chapstick says:

Obvously, this kid DID NOT go to your school. If he did, he wouldn’t have been at the park now, would he?

1. clarke says:

If you were reading correctly the article said he was recently suspended , he can go to the school and not be there that day . Come now lets use common sense . But my deepest sympathy goes out to his family .

2. Summer says:

really? you’re pathetic. he DID go to our school, and now he’s gone. have some respect you piece of shit. your sarcastic remarks are incredibly disrespectful especially when someone just lost their life. unfortunately, it was Marceon who lost his life and not you.

3. GAIN AND AGEIN says:

Hating to Disappoint you all…

I feel sorry for the Family but, what was he doing at the park at that time…

My children are all grown, and so are my grandKids, and YES,

they DO NOT LIVE IN HIALEAH,

Neither do I…..

1. estee says:

well we will giive u a cookie for not living in hialeah, and the kid kid used poor judgement and it caused him his life, there were these biys that went to jr high with my daughter like 20 years ago and the 4 boys skipped school went to on of the boys house the kid that lived in the house took out a gun to show off in front of his friends and he was playing russian roulette the gun fired his friends freaked left running and the kids parents found him on the living room when they got home from work this child also used bad judgement. sometimes parents think their child is in school and crap like this happens my neighbor thought her daughter was at school and she got notified that her daughter had gotten killed in a car accident the young girl was skipping school and her mom thought she was in school so you never know do you?

2. Jeni says:

That is a relief for many of us (they DO NOT LIVE IN HIALEAH). We don’t want people without any feelings in Hialeah. If you don’t like it then don’t read about it. Stick to the robot world you live in where no one can have any feelings. Sorry for your kids & grandkids hope they turned out better than you.

My feelings go out for this family.

5. Luis Bonilla says:

This is sad. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends. Its tough loosing someone at that age especially to foolishness. A message needs to be sent to todays youth.

6. rausky says:

I meant to write such a shame for a kid to die so young. Sorry about the typo.

7. jorge says:

you have to forgive the comments from the first person . uneducated people with no social skills , who are also unemployed are often miserable people . i feel bad for his parents knowing that their child is full of hate and has no self -esteem . he is most likely enjoying all the comments posted about him . pity..

8. Kety says:

Poor marceon, I miss you so much ;( you meant so much to me, peer pressure really easy the worst .

9. redd1530 says:

I have to come out and defend the first writer. I also would like to know, where are the parents? apparently this teenager was already in troubled ground. It does not justify his death nor does it make it any less of a loss. Parents need to be parents and take care of their kids. I did not read any racist comments, so therefore the word racist is poorly used. The writer was not gloating nor happy about the death just making observations. His personal feelings towards Hialeah, could be justified and could hold merit if we knew the whole story.

1. GAIN AND AGEIN says:

Thanks, redd1530

2. TAM196939 says:

INSTEAD OF QUESTIONING SOMEONE’S PARENTING ABILITIES A LITTLE COMPASSION FOR THE PARENTS. AS A SINGLE PARENT I CAN’T UP A 10HR TIMEFRAME WHILE I’M AT WORK AND MY TEENAGER IS AT SCHOOL MONITOR HIS EVERY MOVE. NOW IF YOU WANT TO VOLUNTEER YOUR SERVICES I GLADLY ACCEPT REDD1530. NOW FOR AGAIN & AGEIN, USE A LITTLE TACT IF YOUR FAMILAR WITH THE TERM AND REALIZE THIS FAMILY HAS A WOUND THAT GOES DEEPER THAN YOU CAN FATHOM, YOU WORDS ARE LIKE SALT AND ONLY AGGREVATES THE TOURMENT THEY ARE ALREADY FEELING. U REFERRED TO HAILEAH AS A CESSPOOL, SO YOU LIVED THERE ONCE SO NOW I SEE WHY NY HAS THEIR REPUTATION, HUH?

YES MY COMMENT WAS HARSH, SO WITH THAT BEING SAID, I YOU DON’T HAVE ANYTHING NICE OR APPROPIATE TO SAY. EVEN IF YOU ARE TRYING TO BE CREATIVE WITH YOUR WORDS AND CAN’T QUITE ARTICULATE THEM TO SCREEN. JUS LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE, OKAY?

3. TAM196939 says:

THE WORD RACIST IN YOUR OPINION WAS POORLY USED, HOWEVER YOUR QUESTIONING SOMEONE’S PARENTING ABILITIES IS POOR JUDGEMENT. JUS LIKE THIS COMMENT OPINIONS AND OBSERVATIONS ARE JUST THAT. THEY COME FROM PEOPLE WHO DON’T HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT IS GOING ON IN SOMEONE’S PERSONAL LIFE. THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU POST.

10. gabriel says:

u dont no if the skool ever called the parents and he never told them and they just took him to skool like a normal day and he left and wat i wuld like to no if redd1530 and gain and agein have a life to be posting such horrible comments about a friend of mine that was an awsome friend. life is full of surprises u dont no wat gonna happen today or tomorrow u take a risk walking out ur front door u can only prevent it from happening he say all his friends doit and nothing happen to them so he thought maybe nothings goin to happen to him he took a risk so maybe if u guys new him u could say some thing like u said imy already marceon😥

1. AnaH1526 says:

Gabriel, I think you should go back to SCHOOL.

1. TAM196939 says:

ARGUING WITH A TEENAGER, WELL WE C UR SERIOUS. NOW TELL ME WHO NEEDS TO BE INQUIRING ABOUT EDUCTIONAL LEVELS.

11. Jackie Sierra says:

Where is school security? My Kids go to HML and I drive by there every day and see so many kids skipping from school there it’s incredible. I can’t see how these kids can just walk out of the school! The school security are all sitting around chatting all day. I have seen it myself. I complained to Mr .Buttler the school assistant principal about it millions of time but nothing is done. They worry more about giving CSI to the kids that are 10 minutes late and go to school, instead of worrying about the ones that are walking out of the school. I feel for his parents we think our kids are safe in school when they actually are’nt!

12. gary liv says:

gain and agein you are nothing but a talker who thinks of racial comments always agains someone no matter who it may be this here that happened i hope you can see it in your own family soon it will be because you deserve to see things like this happening to yours and believe me it will because what goes around comes around you should just stick your head in a bag you sound like a has been crack head and a drunk

13. gary liv says:

redd 1530 this could have happened in any other city just as well why would he just hit on the “HIALEAH CESS POOL do you know what a CESS POOL is?

1. GAIN AND AGEIN says:

@ gary liv and all of the other

Hialeah has NEVER BEEN A SAFE PLACE;
      FREEDOM OF SPEECH ;Cess Poolis about the best I could ever call due to Milander, Martinez, and now ROB-a-In-A….

Sorry for YOUR Loss…Mr. Karma

Where is the School Security @ HML?

1. Jeni says:

You keep bringing up politicians in an article that has nothing to do with politics. Hialeah’s people are people who will help each other out in a time like this not judge a whole city for its politics. In this article the main factor is someone lost a child, whether he got in trouble r not tat is not our business the family is in pain. So don’t call HIaleah a cess poo cause you don’t know anthing about it’s people.

2. PETTTY says:

@GAIN AND AGEIN you are to old for all the stupidty hileah is notn a bad place you ass whole and like they said karma do bite you in the as an yes you could call me Ms.karma and marceon was an amazing person he was biggest shoulder i coould lean on you old hagg

14. chanel says:

this is so wrong that this dai hav to come

15. gary liv says:

you are calling the people of hialeah crap in different words gain and agein a CESSPOOL os a pit that is used to hold crap so obiously you must think of the people of hialeah as such but i think you do belong in A CESS POOL yourself

16. Nita Nita says:

Rest in peace to the young man(Marceon) its sad it had 2 happen that way and even sadder that the Parents/family had 2 find out that they child wasnt in school and that he has died…And yes! where was Security at that school?

17. Sheneka says:

he was my best friend……n now he’s gone….this is unreal

18. MRS. S. BUTLER (M.BUTLER'S BUS DRIVER) says:

MY CONDOLENCES GOING OUT TO THE FAMILY & FRIENDS. MARCEON WILL BE TRUELY MISSED. HE ALWAYS WAS RESPECTFUL TO ME & ALWAYS SMILED WHEN GREETING ME. THANKS FOR ALL THE LAUGHS MARCEON S.I.P. (SLEEP IN PEACE).

19. marie says:

thats so weird cause ive jumped from that bridge several times with a bunch of friends and noones ever been hurt, they were probably smoking since today is 4 20 and he was just too high to be swimming in such deep waters and stuff cause you get really tired really quick when your swimming back to shore

20. tired says:

Do any of you remember being a teenager? I did some WAAAAY stupid things, when I was his age, some of them probably should have killed me and some of my friends! A young man made an error in judgement and died. My heart goes out to his family and friends! ITRULY feel for your loss! There are no guarantees in life, and kids will always do foolish things!

21. boo boo says:

it happens at all schools all over this country we call America not just in one city. Would ask parents do you know where your kids are and who they hang out with. Some kids attract the wrong kind of kid and they do bad things and drive them down with their grades not being what they should be. If you appear sick at school do not go and that say you have to leave cause your other friends want you to hang out with them

22. Philip Scharfy says:

Where is daddy?

1. TAM196939 says:

IS THT YOUR BUSINESS OR THE FAMILY’S? SERIOIUSLY WHERE DID THAT COME FROM, DUDE?

23. Candice M says:

My heart goes out to his parents, siblings, and friends. Please don’t make as if Marceon was a bad kid, because he wasn’t. Marceon was raised with dignity, respect, and most of all LOVE. I’m a witness to this. In the last 10 yrs of my life, I’ve watched his parents raised him up to be a fine young man but GOD has called one of his angels home:( ” SIP” Your familu LOVES u , but GOD loves u best.

24. Phillippia his mother says:

my son did not smoke weed so who ever u are sayin and judgin can go to Hell ! But to all of my sons friends whose been showing my family love thank u and god bless u all. we thank u. Listen to your children . Love them! MY HAMMA IS GONE!! I lOST MY SON!

1. estee says:

my deepest sympathy may god be close to u and your family

2. Jeni says:

May God give you the strength you need at this moment. I lost my father and brother a few years ago and I know it is not easy. My deepest sympathy and prayers go out for your son.

3. Nikki says:

srry for yhur loss he was a really good person so high spirited he made middle skool fun for me i juss cnt believe he loss his life to something this stupid
      may God bless yhur family in this time of need and may He cover yhu with his blood and guide yhu through this tough time marceon was such a good person and i miss him i try to hold back the tears but they just come out i miss him and so do his friends😥

25. Ermys Garcia-Roves says:

Feeling sorry for the family that has lots a dear one, and I wish this would never happen to anyone.

And for that stupid person and ignorant at the same time, under the name of GAIN AND AGEIN, you should ignore him all he wants is attention, do not reply back on any comments, and he is claiming to be in N.Y. and he must be from here, cause he knows Julio Robaina and all he is talking crap. I bet he does no have kids or a family to take care. And he is a cold hearted person.

My condolences to the family, I have 4 kids, I would hate to be in the same situation this family is going through.

SO PLEASE JUST MIND THE GOOD THINGS ABOUT MARCEON BUTLER.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL

26. MIami Hot Chef says:

Yesterday a mother lost her son, and my daughter lost her friend. As I sit here and read some of the comments it bothers me to see how some people think. Yes, Marceon was on suspension, and yes he had no business at that park. But if any of you just sat and thought about the things YOU did when you knew it was not the right thing then all of the harsh words you use are turned.

If any of you did not know Marceon then you have no right to judge him. If you did not know his mother or his family, you have no right to judge or question them.

Everyone keeps asking where was HML security? If you have kids in school them you know security has no authority of school property.

Marceon was a good kid and a respectful one. Many of his peers loved him and are now missing him and dealing his loss

To GAIN AND AGEIN, sir you have the right to say what is on your mind that is true, but maybe you should only speak on facts. Like you said your kids are grown, your grandchildren are grown, so what do you know about how things are in schools today. If you dont live in Hialeagh how can you judge the entire city based on your personal feelings about a few. Sir I think I can honestly say that since you dont have to raise children in this enviroment and deal with the challenges most parents today have to face, your words are hurtful and misguided. Parents cant be everywhere all the time, so where were the parents, they were working trying to provide for Marceon. So you cannot blame them.

as parents, we all hope that the values we instill in our kids will prevail over peer pressure and bad judgement.

Phillippia, My heart and prayers go out to you in this time of grief. My daughter was friends with Marceon since 5th grade at Rainbow Park, and they will remain good friends. His body may be gone but his spirit will live on in the hearts of all that he touched while he was here with us. He now sits at the feet of our father watching and guiding us all. May god bless you and keep you.

27. pookiebear says:

r.i.p marceon we hope u the best of life where u at now its more peaceful up there than to be in this difficult world

28. SF native says:

It is not summer in South Florida till the first kid drowns. Seriously though, it was probably preventable if the victim had been in a water safety class.

29. Roger Keith says:

I have read many comments here that have nothing to do with a young teen losing his life. Some of the alleged people commenting here are ridiculous when they comment about Hialeah, Robaina, baby daddy, HML school, and other nonsense. What should be discussed is the prevention of a death.

This young man was no doubt perfect but then again I don’t know anyone (especially a teen) who doesn’t learn and grow from their experiences. Its a shame the so-called friends chose not to report this incident right away. The freakin firehouse is on the same block! Parents, please enroll or teach your children how to swim and friends please don’t leave those you pal around with when they are in need!

30. Mike says:

One of the three kids is my cousin he tried tk help and couldn’t and the poor kid marceon died:/ such a shame these things happen and I’m not lyIng this really is my cousin who was one of the three kids who chose to skip out on school. What a mistake. He’s in my prayers

31. Nikki says:

Marceon OMG i cnt believe he’s gone i iknew him in lyk my first year of middle skool last year he was such a gentlemen always having yhu cracked up and when he greeted yhu he was always smiling, i miss him i cried wehn i heard this i just cnt believe it its unreal i really do miss hym rite now and i wish a good R.I.P!!!! me, sarai and others miss yhu!!!!!😥

32. Krystle C says:

All of the negative comments r uncalled for….Marceon was like a baby brother to me! His older sister and I r good friends! And da family lives on the same block as my parents where we all grew up together. He was a good kid! And it’s still shocking that ur gone! Ur r truly gonna be missed! (Tears R.I.P)❤ You!!!!

33. Briona Tucker says:

Thank you to all of you who are praying for my family and my cousin. My family and I are grateful to you all. Keep us in your prayers and in your hearts.

34. Longtime Cousin says:

Thank yall for your concern…..to those who are judging my cousin because of what he did and not who he is….GO TO HELL…How dare you…you have some nerve making assumptions…so instead of jumpin to conclusions, pray for my cousin and his entire family.

35. nelson homie says:

i knew merceon through out middle and high skew he was a very very charming kid he may have been suspendnt, but for something stupid i bet like all skews do hope his parents the best i knw wht there goin through is tough i lost both parents b4 i even turned 17 your homie and forever dawg nelsonn now youur in a better place and forever much lovee 4 20 11

36. kay says:

My heart goes out to his family. Bless you and I ask God to give you strength. I know its sooooo difficult to cope with and nobody can feel the pain of a mothers childs loss, but we are here to support. Rip beautiful little angel Marceon. Never got to meet you in school, but it still hurts and makes me cry. So sad. God give this family strength! Please Jesus!😦

37. Da Realist Laura says:

omg io miss marceon soo much beacuase he was a good kid wen my parents was late to pick me up he will stay wth me nd start talking nd playing around but he was a sweet heart everybody misses him nd i wish i kan bring alive one more time nd telll him i lovee him as a brother we go way back

38. Elianni Sanchez & Astrid Morales says:

We are truely sorry for what happened to you Marceon. Although we never met u, you will always be missed. RIP and our condolences for your family.

39. SAMONE ADDERLEY says:

WE GONE MISS U RIP MARCEON BUTLER 02-01-94 04-20-11

40. PETTTY says:

marceon you will forever be my shoulder to lean on you was one of the nice friends i ever had an for all the ass holes talking shit karma will bite them in the as they dont know you and they never will sadly
    but juat know this marceon you are the best forever and im gone to show my respect at your funeral p.s rember them fried noodles competion we had

41. Ms. Mesa (Marceon's 1st grade teacher) says:

I just found about this tragedy and I want the family to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. Marceon had a beautiful and radiant smile.