MIAMI (CBS4) – The family of a Miami man who was shot over a cell phone is asking for help in catching the person who did it.
“My son has been shot. I love my son. I’m asking for the public’s help, anybody who knows anything, please come forward, he didn’t deserve this,” said Michelle Jones.
Jones’ son Michael was shot Sunday, April 17th in the area of NW 12th Avenue and 47th Terrace at around 8:30 p.m.
Jones, who is a security guard, was walking to work across the field of Charles Hadley Park when a man approached him and demanded his cell phone. When Jones refused, the man pulled out a shotgun and shot him in the stomach.
Jones, the father of a seven month old daughter, was rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital.
Meeting with the media on Wednesday at Miami police headquarters, Jones’ family said he’s slowly recovering.
“He just regained consciousness. The first day he was not conscious and didn’t speak,” said Michael’s sister Miesha.
Michelle Jones said they found out Michael had been hurt when they got a call from park employees.
“We want to thank the City of Miami Parks and Recreation because they called to let me know my son had been shot, I wouldn’t have known my son was shot,” said Michelle Jones.
“They heard the shots and told me it sounded like a TNT firework,” said Miesha.
“I just want him to come forward, you can be going around shooting people you don’t know who it is,” said Michael’s brother Antwan.
Although hopeful, Miesha said she’s skeptical that any witness will come forward.
“This goes on every day where I live. No one wants to be the person that told, the snitch,” said Miesha. “Maybe someone (however) will break their silence and say what happened, come forward.”
The suspect is described as a dark skin black male, 5’9”, 170 lbs, with short hair, last seen wearing a windbreaker, a blue plaid shirt, and black shorts.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is urged to call the Miami Police Department’s Robbery Unit at (305) 603-6370 or Crime Stoppers at (305) 471-TIPS (8477).