Hollywood Police Concerned About Beachside Attacks

HOLLYWOOD (CBS4) – For generations families have known the Broadwalk in Hollywood as a gateway to one of the best family beaches in South Florida.

But in the last couple of weeks it has been the scene of several ruthless attacks in which people were beaten and robbed.

The latest happened early Sunday morning when 76-year old Paul Spates was taking his morning walk. Spates said just before 6 a.m. he was near Fillmore Street when he saw two guys walking towards him who appeared to be drunk.  When they got near to him, Spates said the attacked.

“He said ‘Do you have any water’ and I said ‘I don’t have any water, I don’t have any money, I don’t have nothing’,” recalled Spates. “Right away he punched my face and then I fell down and he started kicking me and I ‘Don’t hurt me, don’t hurt me’.”

As he struggled to protect himself, he was kicked several times in the head as they searched his pockets.

“I was like all curled up and their feet were coming through my arms as they were kicking me,” said Spates.

They then grabbed a rock or brick and slammed it into Spates’ head. They got away with Spates’ $19 Timex watch and his house keys.

“I didn’t have nothing.  I told them I didn’t have nothing.  If they slap me and say ‘You cheap bastard’ that would be it,” said Spates.  “But to do what they did knowing I didn’t have nothing.”

Police said the attack and robbery was similar to three others recently.

Don Hendrickson said he was walking home early in the morning on March 5 when a teen approached and asked him for a dollar.

“I said, ‘Sorry. I don’t,’ Hendrickson said. “I started to walk away. In the meantime, I turned my back and the other three guys jumped me.”

Hendrickson said the attack lasted 10-15 minutes and left him with two black eyes, swollen ears and various cuts and scrapes.

“My son said I looked like I went 15 rounds with Muhammad Ali,” he said.

The thieves stole his wallet and about $300. He said he’s lucky to be alive but is worried how the attacks on him and the others will affect tourism on Hollywood Beach.

“It’s bad for everybody,” he said. “It gives the beach a bad name.”

On Thursday, March 10th, around midnight, three males and a female stole a purse from a woman about a block away from where Spates was attacked.   The group also beat up a man in the same area and stole $16 thousand in jewelry.

Police suspect another attack which happened not far from the beach may also be related to their investigation.

On Saturday, March 9th, a man was mugged around 11 p.m. in the 12-hundred block of Hollywood Boulevard.  The man told police while he was walking along when a man came up to him and asked him for the time.

As he continued walking he noticed the guy who asked him for the time, and two other males, were following him. The man said when they caught up with him they jumped him, repeatedly punched and stole his phone and groceries.

The police only have a vague description of the attackers. Several of the victims said three or four white, teenage males beat and robbed them. In one instance, a white teenage girl was said to be involved.

People who walk the Broadwalk said they are worried.

“We have to really be careful,” Luisa Lopez said. “I won’t send my husband (out) any more at 6 o’clock. I’m gonna say, go after 7.”

Anyone with information about these attacks is asked to call the Hollywood Police Department at (954) 967-4411 or Broward Crime Stoppers at (954) 493-TIPS.

More from Carey Codd
Comments

1. abootnkiki says:

I was @ the broadwalk just a couple of weeks ago & commented to my wife how many hoodlums there were hanging out there,I guess its time to increase patrols & crackdown on those hoodlums,maybe we should go back to the good old days & start walking the beat,time for law enforcement to get their act together

2. joycee says:

Great…..so are the stepping up the patrols?? I hope so.

3. turd fuguson says:

south florida needs vigilantes to clean the mess up

4. Sick of PC says:

How about they forget the political correctness and describe the assailants. They can’t hide behind the “vague description” nonsense at the end. How about telling us whether the animals are white, black, or hispanic? Any distinguishing traits or tattoos? Do police think it’s the same people committing the crimes? I guess it’s better left unsaid so a particular groups’ feelings don’t get hurt. Forget about giving the public specific info so that they can be on watch.

1. Carlo says:

I agree with you. Why can’t the media do a little research and let us know what they look like?

1. John says:

They are White!!!! Read the article!!!!

2. Fred Magyar says:

Sick of PC et al,

Did you guys even bother to read the article that you are criticizing?

This is from the article:

“Several of the victims said three or four white, teenage males beat and robbed them. In one instance, a white teenage girl was said to be involved.”

Yeah, I guess you wouldn’t want the hurt the feelings of a group of white teenage thugs, now would you?

BTW how many Hollywood residents are willing to pay more taxes to support law enforcement and programs to help teenagers get jobs? Yeah I didn’t think so!

1. John Richardson says:

I agree….nobody nowadays wants to pay for anything or give anybody job benefits BUT THEY WANT TOP NOTCH SERVICE!!!! Pay taxes and you get service…..simple!!!

5. PETER says:

These dirt bags need to be caught and beaten. Your days are limited PUNKS.

6. Willie Colon says:

The police is sleeping

1. kimberly says:

give me a breack the copes are trying to do there best ok so give me a breack ok

7. edwords says:

The Las Vegas Strip has a police bike patrol to keep tourists safe.

Why not start one here?

8. yeah says:

I blame hollywood Pd, they’re always parked in the dark on a1a but rarely patrol the actual boardwalk

9. joe says:

I agree, why no description ? I could care less what color they are, I just want to know what they look like so I can keep my eye out. Wouldn’t they get caught sooner if people knew what they look like ? In any case, the police need increase their presence on the beach. Your days or nubered scumbags

10. Yuli says:

The boardwalk behind 65-79 collins ave on miami beach has security guards on bicycles patrolling the area. I feel safe exercising late at night. That is what hollywood beach needs!

11. jodee says:

hollywood police are ruthless, their thugs themselves

1. John says:

LOL…….no comment!!!!

12. John Richardson says:

The Criminals are described in the article…and you know they white because they are described as two guys and other non specific language. Whenver Perpetraotors are Black…the news always says >>>”BLACK men” or “Black women”. so sunce there is no description you know they White..and later in the article tha ey say they are White. So whats with the Political Correctness talk???

13. Liz says:

Hollywood Police never gets the bad guys, they stop the innocent ones, interrogate them and treat them like criminals. They are too busy patrolling the sand in the day looking for people with coolers and open containers. Why don’t they stop harassing the people who are on the beach relaxing during the day and go after the thugs at night?

1. John says:

Good point , Liz. But then Florida makes money arresting and putting ppl in Prison so they would rather troll a Beach rich with petty Crime and revenue..than to patrol at night looking for the few thugs and so generate less revenue…..Capitalism: it is all about the money!!!

2. Patrick Farnault says:

Liz, i couldn’t agree more with you. LAST SUNDAY THEY WROTE A $1000.00 WORTH OF FINES TO A GROUP OF YOUNG ADULT FROM MIAMI, I WOULD SAY THEY WERE FAMILY PEOPLE. I WILL GARANTY, THEY WILL NEVER COME BACK TO HOLLYWOOD BEACH. AFTER LUNCH AT A NICE RESTAURANT, ICE CREAM AT HAGEAN DAZZ, SOME DRINKS AT TOUCAN, THE CHERRY ON TOP $100.00 TICKET EACH. LA VIDA LOCA HOLLYWOOD STYLE?

14. lina says:

well if you want more law enforcement you should support law enforcement, since they are going to be firing more cops in the future…bugdet cuts and since the people complain about their salaries and all, as though cops live the Madonna, Mariah Carey lifestyles…please, and since no one wants taxes to be raised well guess what people its going to be one hell of a ride bc crimes will increase and be more violent. no matter what even if you dont like the police thats the ONLY wall we ALL have between violent criminals and us. i may not like them (cops) but i support them, damn they go up against those people while i and everyone else runs away.

15. lina says:

u know that there are people who call the police and complain about those open containers on the beach, just the same as the ones who call about the neighbors dog barking, just as the people who call to complain about an abandoned vehicle or a loud party…and do you even know how many cops are actually ON DUTY covering YOUR area??? I asked and found out that at any given time theres only 10-20 cops covering about 120-130 blocks that is NOT enough!!!!!! and when i asked why so little the answer theres no money in the budget to hire more cops…taxpayers complain, however, i looked on a cops paycheck and guess what they too pay taxes! and alot more than i do…people criticize but no one takes the time to really find out how it really is, so i dont judge complain or criticize, i make more than they do, work less, never in danger and dont have to take orders from EVERYONE! i have no idea how they do it but i for one am happy that they do. of course i get upset when they pull me over but at the same time i thank them that is part of the job. oh and complain to the courts if criminals are being let go…police arrest them but convictions depend on the victims pressing charges, witnesses testifying, and the lawyers making their case stick without have the defense attorney do a better job and getting the case dismissed, and if they lose than it falls on the judge and/or jury to make the sentencing stick. yeah i complained about that too but i did my homework and found out how it really works.

16. luna says:

Why can police undercover would dress up as a senior citizen in a wheel chair, and try to catch this guys, being seeing defenseless can be a good chance to get this abusive people.

17. Angie says:

Don’t know about anyone else but I don’t walk at night or in the dark. only in the light when there are plenty of people around. It’s an awful way to live but that is the world today. When I was a kid we could walk the railroad tracks and not worry. Sorry to see those days are gone but they are and unfortunatley they won’t come back. I just hope someone catches these guys. I know Paul and he is such a nice guy. They are lucky it wasn’t in his hay day because he would have given them a run for their money. Please catch these guys. I too spend my winters in Hollywood.

18. HOME GROWN HOLLYWOOD says:

FOR ALL WHO DO NOT KNOW WHAT THERE TALKING ABOUT THE HOLLYWOOD POLICE ARE ALWAYS ON THE BOARD WALK THEY PATROL ON BIKES LATE NIGHT THEY DRIVE ON THE BOARD WALK HOLLYWOOD BEACH IS VERY SAFE I WALK THE BEACH 600 AM AND THERE IS ALOT OF PEOPLE WALKING AT THAT TIME ITS NOT SAFE ANY WHERE WHEN YOU ARE WALKING ALONE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING THIS WILL GET CAUGHT