Teen Wants To Pay Students For A+ Attendance

MIAMI (CBS4)- A South Florida high school student who is proud of his perfect attendance record would like to benefit other Miami-Dade County students for their attendance.

South Miami High school senior Frankie Garces said he has never felt that pit in the stomach because in thirteen years, he has never been late to school.

“I’ve never taken a sick day,” he said. “Even if I’m sick, I’m here.”

A few months ago Garces’ mother, Marivi, had an idea to pay it forward.

“She came up to me and said I want to start a foundation where other kids who have your record can benefit from that,” Garces said.

The plan is that every high school senior in Miami-Dade County who has perfect attendance for a minimum of 12 years will receive a scholarship for college.

“I feel that anyone who has that kind of dedication should be rewarded for it,” he said.

Garces said his father plays a key role in his successful attendance.

“I have to give a lot of credit to my dad,” he said. “He wakes up with me every morning. He’s up with me every day.”

Garces, who said he would like to become a doctor one day, also directs South Miami’s morning newscast. He said the main reason for not staying home from school is because of “anxiety.”

“I feel like I’m missing something I should be here for,” said Garces.

If you would like to nominate your child for the scholarship or contribute to Frankie’s fund, head to their Facebook page or email marivigarces@bellsouth.net

Comments

1. Ruben R, Diaz says:

He’s the kid that comes to school sick and gets everyone else sick. Let’s reward that! And this fund has nothing to do with grades? I knew a kid (at South Miami, I’m an alum) that had perfect attendance and a 1.7 GPA. All you had to do was show up to homeroom and say, “here”.

If you are sick you have a responsibility to stay home and not infect other people!

“South Miami High school senior Frankie Garces said he has never felt that pit in the stomach because in thirteen years. That’s because he has never been late to school.” Huh? Some one missed an edit here.

1. Adarelis Bolivar says:

I hate people who come to an article like this and taint it with negative comments. Most of you are making ASSUMPTIONS, and of course they’re the ones with only negative connotations. For example, the GPA thing. I have perfect attendance for 13 years as well. I have a 3.1 unweighted and a 4.1 weighted GPA. I’m an AP and honors student.
      I believe this to be a TREMENDOUS accomplishment and it would be nice to be recognized for it. I mean think about it, people get scholarships for be a certain height or left handed. I think a perfect attendance scholarship (academics considered of course) would be a great way to acknowledge the thirteen years of effort.

P.S. It’s ridiculous to assume that the ones who come to school everyday are the students spreading germs and sickness when in reality some kids come to school sick and don’t stay home until it’s REALLY bad, and by that time they’ve already infected plenty of other students.

2. nancy says:

Agreed.

That’s what I said about editing. They need to hire a full time person to proofread all of their stories.

3. marivi rodriguez-garces says:

So proud of you Frankie! ,,,, An honors, gifted,AP Student, President of the Engineering Club & Director of Cobra TV. Future Neurologist….Viva …All that is positive !!!. The Garces Family!

1. GAIN AND AGEIN says:

Great, FRANKIE.

PLEASE, KEEP UP the good WORK

4. Sally Jones says:

What about the kid who moves to the area and isn’t in Dade county for the 12 years but has perfect attendance? What about the child who is truly sick and the responsible parent who keeps them home so that the H1N1 virus isn’t passed around? Why is everyone “entitled” to a scholarship? I think this has major flaws!

5. Catherine Mendoza says:

what about the kids that are taken from school an hour attendance and still gets perfect attendance – going to school is a privilege in some countries, in our country some kids go to school because it is the only time they have a hot meal!
    I agree to give scholarships for grades, not for attendance…. some “poor” ( not applying themselves) students are in school every day to goof off , socialize and disturb the classroom environment… do they have to get rewarded – Hope not!

6. Catherine Mendoza says:

what about the kids that are taken out of school during first period and still gets perfect attendance or going to a doctor’s appointment and to come back an hour before 2:20 PM ? Going to school is a privilege in some countries, in our country some kids go to school because it is the only time they have a hot meal! – some because they really like to go to school and want to fulfill their dreams…
    I agree to give scholarships for grades, not for attendance…. some (not applying themselves) students are in school every day to goof off , to socialize and to disturb the classroom environment, spending their day in CSI.. do they have to get rewarded – Hope not!