Homestead SRT Standoff Ends, Man Found Dead Inside Home

HOMESTEAD (CBS4) — After nearly eight hours barricaded inside, a man was found dead inside a Homestead home.

Just before noon, a Special Response Team from the Miami-Dade Police Department surrounded a the home at 35000 SW 212th Avenue following reports of a person who has barricaded himself inside, possibly armed with a gun.

According to an online search, the home belongs to reptile dealer Tom Crutchfield.

cages Homestead SRT Standoff Ends, Man Found Dead Inside Home

Cages on a Homestead property where there's a police standoff. (CBS4)

Video from Chopper 4 showed numerous cages and sheds lined up side-by-side that match the description on Crutchfield’s website as being reptiles cages and reptile houses.

SRT members approached the home on an armored vehicle, and stayed stationed outside until just before 8 p.m. when officers moved in and discovered a dead body.

The deceased person has not been identified. Miami-Dade Police confirm to CBS4 they have now opened a homicide investigation.

Miami-Dade police said rescue personnel had treated one person who had been shot.

The cause of the standoff is unknown.

Comments

1. Mike says:

Welcome to Homestead. You never know who your neighbors are, or if they are even legal.

2. Paul White says:

any chance of a photo of the guy behind the barricade? Lots of us would like to know if it’s Tom or not. Hoping like hell it isn’t.

1. Kelli Rutledge Hammack says:

I have heard news that Tom and his wife are ok.

3. Lori Caddick says:

Me, too, Paul. I’ve been a fan and follower of Tom’s for since purchasing from him almost two years ago. My thoughts are with him and his family – hoping for the best possible outcome.

4. Doris says:

We live out here in the boonies because it is so beautiful and peaceful. Now this in our neck of the woods? It is time to leave Miami-Dade County.

1. Don says:

Leave and go where? Let me know when you get to the Magic Kingdom, Land of Milk and Honey or Somewhere over the Rainbow. That wonderful place that knows no crime. I hope my friends never develop that tuck tail and run mentallity.

5. Kurt says:

This is not the Redlands anymore, its SW Kendall. Real shame too, cause this was a great place to live.

6. Vanessa Crutchfield says:

Tom is fine, Paul, thanks.

1. Don Hyatt says:

Best wishes to Tom and his family !

2. Rich Downing says:

Vanessa,
      So sorry to hear about your dad, but I’m glad he’s okay. Please send my best wishes to your father.

7. Paul White says:

Thanks. Heard he got shot but he’s OK. Sorry that he got shot but glad he’s OK. Hope this resolves with no further injuries and ya’ll can get back to business!

8. Don Alford says:

Glad Tom is alright.

9. Snake eye says:

We hope all is OK and everybody is safe. From all at Captivebred Reptile Forum.

10. Alex Smith says:

Glad you are good Tom. Heard about it on Reptile Insider.

11. Marcia McGuiness says:

So glad to hear you all are OK!!! From Golden Gate Geckos on the “Left Coast”.

12. Doug Mong says:

Wow!,..I hope Tom gets through all this okay!!

13. Isabel says:

Wow, so many assumptions before the facts are even out. And there is no place on earth immune to crime. I just bought a ranch a couple of blocks from him and love it. My only West neighbor is the everglades. But i do have to admit that I am a lillte upset that someone stole a 400 feet section of my wood fence!

14. AvidHerpers.com says:

Glad Tom and his family are ok! Our prayers are with you from AvidHerpers.com

15. Charles Koutris says:

That’s great news to hear that Tom and his family are okay!!!!!!

16. Pete Quigley says:

I just got news of this from thr BLBC. I’m glad Tom is OK. Intrested to know why this went down. GLAD they got the guy who baricaded himself inside.
    Good thoughts and prayers headed south from Michigan.

17. Shannon Creamer says:

Very sorry this ended in tragedy, but happy that it didnt end much worse. My heart goes out to all involved.

18. Judy Fireman says:

To the poster above: Oh yippee ya got it all figured out. Have you no decency to think about human lives and SOULS who are affected. Life is precious and so is everyone I share this planet with. They’re strengths and weaknesses are not for anyone to judge…You hear good, you hear bad…but you yourself are not accountable for others, only you.

19. Jimmy Stewart says:

Wishing the best from Dallas Reptile Rescue. So glad to hear that Tom and Pat escaped with only minor injuries.

20. W. Becker says:

We are very glad to hear there were no other injuries. I had very good dealings with Tom over 20 years ago and am always pleased to hear when people correct errors in judgment made in their youth. Regards, W. Becker; Curator, Central States Serpentarium

21. yep says:

Bruce didn’t kill himself. He was shot too……..

22. Jerry Kruse says:

Prayers are with you for a speedy recovery both physically and emotionally. God bless and Godspeed. — Jerry Kruse, private breeder.

23. Elizabeth M. Carr says:

Best of luck from a reptile lover in PA. Hope how this started gets resolved quickly.

24. yepper says:

Tom is alive, Bruce is dead. May heart goes out to the Stephenson family. Bruce was a great guy, very nice to me. He will be sadly missed. My opinion is that Tom will be charge, but in the end God will sort this all out.

25. MATT BERNHARDT says:

TOM I HOPE EVERYTHING IS OK WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND IF YOU NEED ANYTHING JUST GIVE ME A CALL