The Time Has Come To Spring Forward

MIAMI (CBS4) — In a sleep deprived nation, we’re all about to lose a little more as Daylight Saving Time arrives Sunday. This means the daylight will begin later in the morning and the sun will set later in the evening.

So this is your reminder: Before going to bed Saturday night, move your clocks and watches forward by one hour or risk being an hour late to Sunday church or other activities.

The lost hour will return Sunday, November 6th, when clocks go back to standard time.

The only two states that do not observe daylight-saving time are Arizona and Hawaii. Neither does American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Daylight Saving Time begins at 2:00 a.m. on the second Sunday in March and reverts to Standard Time on the first Sunday in November.

Of course, whenever you set your clocks ahead one hour, you are also supposed to make another change. Change the batteries on your smoke detectors.

Smoke detector batteries need changing every six months and the switch to daylight-saving time is the perfect time to make the change.

The Florida Highway Patrol also warns drivers and pedestrians to be especially careful on the Monday morning commute to work or school. It will likely be dark and everyone needs to pay close attention to the roads.

Did you know? Daylight saving time was first used during World War I, as part of an effort in the United States and other warring countries to conserve fuel. In theory, using daylight more efficiently saves fuel and energy because it reduces the nation’s need for artificial light.

1. george-b says:

Don’t you have this weird felling that those who die during the daylight saving part of the year have been robbed (once more) by one hour? But at least p somebody up there will welcome them one hour earlier, you know what I’m talknig about, at least for the first two weeks, before everybody else remembers the joke too.

2. stylistnc says:

I love daylight savings time. Even if I do lose an hour of sleep. I always thought daylight savings time had something to do with the farming industry. Guess I was wrong.

3. newsy1 says:

I think it used to have something to do with the farming industry. Or at least that is what my mom used to tell me as a kid (she lived on a farm as a kid). If I remember right she said it gave farmers more daylight hours to harvest and/or plant crops.

4. makingup3000 says:

Yea. Hot summer light nights. I wish it was daylight savings time all year round.

5. beingzhenya says:

Did you know they cancelled daylight savings in Russia? I wonder what it’s like… hmmm

6. Jeremiah Stanghini says:

Hawaii is also a place that does not have Daylight Savings.🙂

With Love and Gratitude,

7. fathersky says:

When can we do away with this stupid event? I do not believe in the myth that it saves energy. But as usual, who cares about the American worker, make it look like we are doing something about the energy crisis. Fail!

8. It is ridiculous to expect people to wake up and be efficient in the dark. Daylight savings time is silly. We should use the Sun light as the measure of when to start working and when to sleep. I WOULD DO MUCH BETTER.!

9. familyties8 says:

I think daylight savings time was implemented for the golfers…but it is hard on little children catching the school bus in the dark.

10. jessicaber says:

We just did and I even set my three watches in my jewlery drawer ahead.

11. says:

Daylight saving is stupid but also exciting. The reason for being stupid is because I think we should have to change the time, but we have to become of the sun. The reason for being exciting because it makes me feel like I have control over changing the time.

12. chicagoski says:

We should spring forward at 4pm on Monday. I don’t get enough sleep and work too much as it is🙂

13. amz k says:

Daylight saving is good, it means you see some daylight after work🙂

14. Christopher Simpson says:

it’s odd how wide-spread this idea that DST has something to do with farmers is. Farmers have been lobbying against DST since its inception.

15. recipechefs says:

Stop by sometime for great recipes

16. oh now I find out why I have been late all day long today.