Backyard Cookout Turns Tragic As Explosion Burns Chef

MIAMI (CBS4) – What was supposed to be a friendly, tasty backyard cookout turned to tragedy Sunday when a man was severely burned.

The grill exploded, engulfing not only the chef but the SW Miami-Dade house, too, said Miami-Dade Fire-Rescue spokesperson Griselle Marino.

The burned man was air-lifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital with burns over 20 percent of his body.

The cause of the explosive fire is under investigation.

(©2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. )

Comments

1. Brickell Princess says:

Only in Miami! You people thrive in chaos. Something as simply as a BBQ and you people manage to turn it into chaos.

2. do the right thing for the daughters's sake says:

why are you reporting on this when not only the grill was lost but the whole house was lost 2. There are other stories out there like how the weather was very nice this weekend and lots of other things to do

3. Pete says:

You’re right, Princess, propane explosions only happen in Miami! It’s because this is a third-world-spanish-speaking-rude-cesspool-with-bad-drivers-and-corrupt-garbagemen place. Lol.

1. Roger Keith says:

So where do you live Pete that is such a wonderland? Not everyone is as you say in Miami you _______. Judge as you want to be judged.

4. Elliott says:

Spanish speaking gateway to the Americas, millions exported, millions taken in in foreign deposits, a cosmopolitan city like few others, and we still badmouth our city. Wake up and see what Miami is today. Compare it to the 60’s, it’s come a long way in every positive regard. Love it or leave it. (Yes, I am a native).

5. evelyn says:

The man’s lucky to have survived this long; hopefully he’ll live. What’s with all the negative comments above?

6. Pete says:

Rausky, you really need to bone up on recognizing sarcasm. I’m hispanic, too.

I just think it’s interesting how being negative about Miami is just part of the Miami culture from as far back as I can remember. Hispanics do it as well, pining either for their homes in Cuba, if they’re old enough, or somewhere north of Ocala if they’re not.

I moved out of Miami in my twenties, never happier to see something in my rear view mirror, and have lived all over the United States. I promise you that Miami is one of the nicer places to live, though it has its problems like everyplace else.

As for this story, there aren’t really enough details to comment on it. I passed by a house fire on Bird Road tonight, west of the palmetto, I think. I was impressed by how many resources Miami-Dade was able to get to the scene. I hope for the best for everyone involved.

1. Pete says:

Ok, one more,, then I’m done. “Propane explosions only happen in Miami” is either stupid beyond belief, or obviously sarcastic. Get that chip off your shoulder, we don’t have to defend ourselves to anyone. Hasta luego.

1. Pete says:

How is it that everyone but me is able to edit and delete their comments?

7. joey says:

He was being sarcastic, fool

8. frankdatank says:

From what I understand there was possibly an explosion of some sort which ignited the back patio presumably from the BBQ tank. That resulted in one of the occupants being burned and having to get airlifted to the burn center. Because of the proximity of the houses to each other, the neighbors home was also threatened by the fire. Fortunately there were some fire rescue units able to answer the call to minimize the damage and injuries to the patient. Hopefullly, the burns do not involve the respiratory system and are only superficial.

9. Jared says:

I was driving past the home when the fire began and video taped the beginning up to just after the explosion. It was incredibly powerful and intense. This was an accident I am sure and all the negativity above is ridiculous. Am accident is just that…an accident.

10. Jimmy Fallon says:

Can’t we all just get along?

1. Barbara says:

Jimmy: If we could all get along it would be a nicer place to live. I live in Pineville, LA and I do alot of grilling. One time I was grilling and my propane exploded and fireengulfed the whole barbecue pit. I learned a valuable lession. Whenever you barbecue, keep the water hose close by.

2. Barbara says:

Jimmy: I agree we should all get along. But in this day and age, people just don’t care anymore how they act. I was grilling one time and my propane tank had a leak in it, and needless to say it also exploded. My patio caught on fire. Had to call the fire department to put it out. I learned a valuable lesson from this. If you are barbecuing, have a water hose near by.

11. Philip Scharfy says:

I’m sure the proper investigation will show it was all Bush’s fault…

12. GAIN AND AGAIN says:

Pete: Thanks for defending HISPANICS. I am Cuban-born, and YES, I grew up NORTH OF OCALA. Amazing! I am college EDUCATED, have never stolen a penny from anyone, and middle-aged, HAPPILY MARRIED, my CHILDREN MOSTLY LIVE UP NORTH, except for ONE, whom PRAISES South Florida and works for HOMELAND SECURITY. HE WAS BORN IN MIAMI, RAISED IN MIAMI, AND PROUD OF MIAMI. I saw the comments, too, I BELIEVE THERE IS A LOT OF HATRED IN SOUTH FLORIDA, due to BIGOTTRY and LACK OF SELF-RESPECT. I WAS TAUGHT, from BIRTH, that WE ARE ALLLLLLL WORTH THE SAME THING, AND THAT BAD-MOUTHING ONE ANOTHER, IS A SIGN OF ENVY. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

1. Roger Keith says:

Right on Gain and Again. Some people obviously need to educate themselves or maybe buy a farm somewhere with lots of acreage to be by themselves. Look in the mirror miserable Pete; Do you see perfection in your own perfect world?

2. Marina says:

Envy? Please! My parents fled the former Soviet Union. I was raised in the culture and speak the language. In fact when I started school I could not speak English. They did not have stickers of the flag of the country they fled on their vehicles and believed that going to anit communist rallies here was pointless and only those back there could change it. Many of those who immigrated here back then fel the same. They went to work and did not rely on the government for anything. Last but not least they were NEVER hyphenated citizens. There loyalty was to the country they were living in.

3. Job says:

I envy myself for living far and away from Miami, AKA burrito country…

13. Joe G says:

People full of envy. Bad mouth Miami but that’s were they would love to be when they are freezing and shoveling snow. FYI, Miami and South Beach is one of the best locations for vacationing. Princess don’t forget your sweater and your overcoat on your way out. I am going to put some skirt steak on the grill while you eat your cheeseburger. LOL