MIAMI (CBS4) — Embattled Miami-Dade County Commissioner Natacha Seijas has voluntarily dropped the lawsuit she filed in an effort to get her name removed from the ballot for an upcoming recall election, according to Eunice Sigler, a spokesperson for Miami-Dade County courts.
This was the second lawsuit filed by Seijas. Her attorney recently argued in court that the petitions are not valid because of flaws in the gathering of the signatures. Seijas’ lawyers had asked that the petitions be re-canvassed and re-certified, signature by signature.
The judge still hadn’t made a decision on the suit when Seijas’ decision to drop the suit was released Thursday.
Seijas, who has represented District 13, including Hialeah and Miami Lakes, for 18 years, said in a statement: “The important thing now is for the people of District 13 to cast their ballots and say ‘no’ to this unfair recall attempt. I thank everyone for their support during this difficult process, and I look forward to serving the remainder of my four-year term.”
Seijas isn’t alone in her recall fight. Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez also filed a lawsuit to block the March 15th recall election.
Alvarez alleges that some of those who circulated petitions were paid in violation of Florida law; other complaints are that the petitions are rife with sloppy or misplaced notary signatures.
Alvarez is facing a recall after auto tycoon Norman Braman mounted a well-funded campaign to collect tens of thousands of signatures. Braman said he targeted Alvarez and Seijas because of their support for a property tax increase for some homeowners last year even though most county homeowners saw their property taxes go down.
Alvarez said the limited tax increase was necessary to avoid huge cuts to essential services such as the police and fire departments.