$100K Reward Now Offered In Slain Mail Carrier Case
MIRAMAR (CBS4) – There’s been a major increase in the reward being offered in the case of a murdered South Florida mailman.
Tuesday morning, the U.S. Postal Inspection Service announced the reward has doubled from $50,000 to $100,000.
“We believe several people have knowledge of this crime and we are pleading with them to come forward,” said Postal Inspector In Charge, Enrique Gutierrez.
The reward will go to whoever provides information that leads to an arrest and conviction in the murder of postal carrier Bruce Parton, who was killed on the job in December.
Parton’s daughter, Nina, also made a plea to the community to provide any information that will lead to an arrest.
“I think it’s important that people come forward and tell us what they know so this doesn’t happen to anyone else,” Nina Parton said.
Nina, who spoke to CBS4’s Peter D’Oench after the December 6th murder, said her father was a devoted Dad, a loving grandfather of her two children and a dedicated postal worker one month shy of his retirement. Parton had been with the postal service for nearly 30 years.
Parton was shot and killed while on his mail route at the Monte Carlo condominiums in the area of 486 NW 165th Street Road in Northwest Miami-Dade. The gunman stole his mail truck, drove a short distance, then abandoned it and ran away.
“It doesn’t make any sense. He was such a happy and loving person who had a smile for everyone,” Parton said. “He chose his route because he thought it was safe there.”
“He was just on his job, doing his ride,” said Nina Parton. “I guess that I want the public to know that whatever information they have, they should come forward, no matter how irrelevant they think their information is. This could resolve this.”
Parton’s attacker was described as a black male with dreadlocks in his 20s or 30s, 6-feet to 6-feet, 4-inches tall and heavy set. He wore a red jacket and black slacks and shirt, police said.
Despite the lack of movement in finding Parton’s killer, Nina still has faith in the community which he served.
“I do have confidence that the public will come forward and help us resolve this terrible crime,” Nina said.
“Bruce Parton was one of those guys who were humble public servants,” said Gutierrez. “You could see that on the faces of his children.” Gutierrez was referring to Nina and Parton’s son, Mike, who also attended the news conference on Tuesday.
“We believe several people have knowledge of what happened or the consequences of this crime,” said Gutierrez. “No piece of information is insignificant. We have dedicated thousands of hours to the investigation.”
On Tuesday, postal inspectors passed out flyers at the condominium complex to residents like Claudette Deborst, who knew Parton.
“I was surprised at the effect this (murder) would have on me,” Deborst told CBS4’s Peter D’Oench. “He was a good man. He was polite and he was courteous.”
The U.S. Postal Inspection Service says the same reward may be payable for information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone who was an accessory to the crime, who was part of a conspiracy to commit the crime or who may have received or who illegally has property stolen from Parton’s postal truck.
Anyone with information is asked to call postal authorities at 1-877-876-2455 and select Option 2 or call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS.
(©2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)