Deadly Bridge Collapse | Complete Coverage | Photo Gallery

 DEERFIELD BEACH – (CBS4) – One South Florida cosmetics company got burned by smoking lashes, literally. 

Eight employees and one firefighter were hospitalized after Deerfield Beach Fire Rescuers were called to put out a fire at a cosmetics company Friday morning in the 1400 block of West Newport Center Drive. 

Officials say a 55-gallon drum lab caught fire at Oxygen Development LLC. The employees were grinding a compound possibly to make mascara when the drum caught fire, said fire chief John Quitoni. 

About 200 employees from the cosmetics company and hazardous material units were called out to evaluate the level of toxicity to determine the exposure to employees. 

Red Cross workers provided meals and water for employees who were waiting outside as hazardous materials teams evaluated the compound. 

Those hospitalized complained of nausea and headaches.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Miami

Check Your BracketEnter our national Bracket Challenge game for a chance to win $5,000 Amex gift card.
Get Your Daily DoseHere's some good news just for you.

Watch & Listen LIVE